Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm gonna write this up as descriptive as I can. I have a 2000 X with 118xxx had it for 2 months now last weekend after a long drive on the highway and getting off of the highway and slowing down vehicle over heats Added some oil because I was pretty lo and topped off coolant. Got in drove another hour no issue. After it cooled I drove home about an hour and a half. It was all mixed driving. So.. A week goes by without any issues haven't done extended driving but has gotten up to temp. No over heating. So a week later I replace valve cover gasket to stop oil leak. All is well do oil change at same time top off coolant barely took anything. Drive 30 min highway and feels great. get to where I was heading and it's steaming but temp is fine. Overflow tank is to the cap. I pull some coolant out with a turkey baster and let it cool. Vehicle cools and I'm heading to another destination get about 15 min into trip all highway. Get off highway and starts overheating again. Pull over pop Radiator cap and top off coolant. Took what I had taken out earlier. Get in start it up and temp goes to normal I go to autozone and replace radiator cap. Drive 40 min not a problem. Then drive an hour home without an issue. Drive it around locally and never an issue. So... I'm looking for advice. Thinking head gasket and am fully prepared to deal with it and would like someone to point me in the direction of a d.i.y or offer any advice. Thanks. I'm pretty good at working on vehicles just never got into tearing apart the whole upper engine. I have an fsm. Any ideas? :D

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,092 Posts
No real DIY for head gaskets. You could take a look at valve cover replacement DIY thread, exhaust manifold DIY thread, and the timing belt DIY thread as your going to have to pull the belt to remove the heads, if you've not replaced the timing belt now is the time to do it.

Best bet is to follow along in the FSM. I replaced mine last fall along with cams and porting the heads and it's really not that hard with the FSM to help.

·
Registered
156 Posts
just the torque sequeance is rather long. I like the manual if you replace the intake gasket you must replace the head gaskets as well. LOOK out for the heater core tubes very brittle boogers. Then you have all the little coolant hoses /Thermostat/ valve seals valve job/surface the head/ cam seals/ distributor bearing/ plug wires/ cap & rotor. You are opening up the big can o worms. Might not need all of it but just a few thoughts. Over 100k
Just built my X and found several gremlins like a pitted block head surface from the head gasket (deck had to be milled) and the cracked head ect...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.. just lost on this issue not sure if that's even the problem. But I did source timing belt, thermost, water pump, radiator, head gasket set, head bolts, and knock sensor for a total of 503 and change shipped. Not bad. I will update when I know more..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts