Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright ladies and gents, back to the drawing board.

I had posted last year regarding overheating. I did not buy a new radiator as advised.

though I flushed it repeatedly and it does look ok. It's been used all winter and the rad fluid is still super green same with over fill tank.

so its getting warm and planning on a few fishing trips soon. So i replaced the rad cap today and pushed the truck hard with a/c on.

it warmed up quite a bit....

one thing I did not mention previously. and this could be unrelated to the radiator, which is why I postponed the repair (mostly cause it was winter in canada)

so under acceleration, hard acceleration I hear a rattling or ticking of sorts. Its quite loud, It is also when the truck warms up. under normal load and a/c on it doesn't warm.... I had the ac blasting on the way home from work today and its around 20 degrees celcius. it didnt heat up until i punched it up a very steep hill with the a/c blasting.

its this noise though,. i tried taking video but its hard to hear. it only manifests under hard acceleration, or when the X drops a gear to pass or climb hills at highway speed.

1. so would cracked exhaust manifolds contribute to overheating?

2. would a crappy radiator still keep your fluid neon green for 7 months if it was buggered up with crap?

3. is this likely a head gasket issue? what the estimated cost of such repair. I do know an honest mechanic who did the timing on this truck for me.

suggestions, thoughts and advice please.

timing, water pump, thermostat done last year. rad flushed last fall and new rad cap today.

its my daily driver and I take it into the bush regularly. funds are tight, but repairs are necessary some times.

any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the oil is fine. no signs of antifreeze at all. regular oil changes.

I just read on a previous thread from march of a member having a similar issue and it turning out to be the head gasket.

just trying to narrow things down a bit, or if anyone else has had the same problem

·
Registered
15 Posts
When you remove the radiator cap, and look into the radiator with the engine running, does the fluid look to be bubbly or maybe foamy? Or maybe exhaust have a sweet smell? I wonder if your head gasket could have leak between combustion chamber and coolant jacket, If it did you would be putting compression gasses/ heat into cooling system, Would definitely increase under heavy throttle. Just a thought.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you remove the radiator cap, and look into the radiator with the engine running, does the fluid look to be bubbly or maybe foamy? Or maybe exhaust have a sweet smell? I wonder if your head gasket could have leak between combustion chamber and coolant jacket, If it did you would be putting compression gasses/ heat into cooling system, Would definitely increase under heavy throttle. Just a thought.

The antifreeze just sits there. no bubbling or foamy. the exhaust smells of uncombusted fuel hahahaha. not sweet at all.

the coolant hoses appear to have flow going through them and are also fairly new.

it's just strange, I can drive all day under normal load and nada. climb a steep hill and the x has to drop a gear then it gets hot quick.

at times in the bush climbing some hills I have had to blast the heat out of the defrost to keep the truck cool.

just thought a crappy radiator would make your fluid nasty quickly. the fluid looks new and I did a flush in september or late august in 2015

·
Registered
621 Posts
Id probably go with a bad water pump. And the ticking id bank on being cracked headers which is very common.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Also was the thermostat put in right? Heard weird things about them if put in wrong. Also make sure the cooling system is free of air by cracking open the bleeder valve. Is the fan clutch good?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also was the thermostat put in right? Heard weird things about them if put in wrong. Also make sure the cooling system is free of air by cracking open the bleeder valve. Is the fan clutch good?
fan clutch is good, I will have to check the thermostat today after work. I gotta do an oil change anyways.

this morning though I did bleed through the screw, I had to rev the engine a bit by pulling the cable to get fluid out of the bleed screw.

so potentially could have been an airlock?

I also filled up the tank with premium gas today.... I did that because when I had the water pump/timing belt/thermostat done last year my mechanic said I had a knock sensor code.

I did the knock sensor bypass myself. though I don't suspect the ticking to be detonation as the truck appeared to be running fine.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Could be an air bubble in the system causing the overheating, doubtful though cuz it's been 7 months and all, but still possible...did you bleed the intake?

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya through the bleed screw right by the throttle cables.

Had the heater cranked and fan set to 4.

·
Registered
444 Posts
DO you have a Cooling System tester?

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do not have a cooling system tester.

I called my mechanic and will be going to his place to check for codes this week. if necessary test compression. other than over heating when working hard the truck runs nicely.

thermostat is good and no sign of antifreeze in the oil yesterday.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Like Gatorsfan1 was saying, if the head gasket was bleeding between the cooling jacket and the compression chamber, it wouldn't put any antifreeze into the oil...cooling system testers just pressurize the system so you can find a leak

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not a stupid question at all. I replaced it before I gave it a proper bleed a few days ago.

Was 10$ or so

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well just an update. went on a 5 day camping trip and had some tough climbs on the truck.

It did better with a properly bled cooling system. However, it still got hot quite often and I had to have the heat cranked and fan set to 4 to help ease the engine.

I will have to order a new radiator in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Order one for the SC motor, it is a two-core vs the thin one core that comes in the NA!

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Order one for the SC motor, it is a two-core vs the thin one core that comes in the NA!

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:

thanks for the tip. price isn't that much higher either

1 - 20 of 21 Posts