Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's cheap insurance. The service manual does not say to replace them that I can find. I'd still get new ones. Get a copy of the service manual because the torque sequence for the head and intake manifold is a 13 step process.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Xterra/

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
The way the bolts work is they stretch when torqued ,when you remove them they do not return to same size they get longer,so when you reuse them they break off very easily if just one breaks off during install you need to remove the head ,new gasket drill out the old bolt,to much work just for not doing it right.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,315 Posts
It's cheap insurance. The service manual does not say to replace them that I can find. I'd still get new ones. Get a copy of the service manual because the torque sequence for the head and intake manifold is a 13 step process.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Xterra/
The way the bolts work is they stretch when torqued ,when you remove them they do not return to same size they get longer,so when you reuse them they break off very easily if just one breaks off during install you need to remove the head ,new gasket drill out the old bolt,to much work just for not doing it right.
All of this^^

It is a very exact sequence just take your time and you will be fine but you must have new bolts. Trust me do the above and a few other steps and your truck will be good for a long time, do it wrong, skimp, or cut corners and you will be doing a long job twice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To have the work done by some one would cost me between $800 and $1000 so that's why I wanted to do it my self I can do most work my self

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok parts all came in wrong go figure so went down to the parts store throughout over $300 bucks now I'm sitting here looking at parts and don't know where to start hahahaha

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks bro it's been a long process but I can now say I know this xstrra better than I do my wife haha

1 - 20 of 51 Posts