Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother is looking for a vehicle to replace her jeep, and has been looking into Xterras. She like to go hiking and nature trekking.
Does the XTerra handle well on mountains? Which year is the best?

· Registered
384 Posts
Xterras are categorized into two sections: the first generation which were built from 2000-2004. Then the second generation built from 2005 to 2015. Xterras handle very well in the mountains. the Xterras built from 05 and after are more expensive than the previous ones but are more comfortable and pack more room to go out hiking. plus their engines pack more power then the first gens. (first gens use 3.3L and second gen 4.0L) any year is ok but stay away from xterras Built between 2005 to 2008. They have a transmission defect called SMOD. it's when the coolant mixes with the tranny fluid and that destroys their tranmissions when that happens. If you want power and more room with comfort go with the second gen. If you want something more economical go with the first gen. personally i have the first gen.

· Registered
140 Posts
Xterras are categorized into two sections: the first generation which were built from 2000-2004. Then the second generation built from 2005 to 2015. Xterras handle very well in the mountains. the Xterras built from 05 and after are more expensive than the previous ones but are more comfortable and pack more room to go out hiking. plus their engines pack more power then the first gens. (first gens use 3.3L and second gen 4.0L) any year is ok but stay away from xterras Built between 2005 to 2008. They have a transmission defect called SMOD. it's when the coolant mixes with the tranny fluid and that destroys their tranmissions when that happens. If you want power and more room with comfort go with the second gen. If you want something more economical go with the first gen. personally i have the first gen.
Yea that sums it up pretty good Id say. 1st Gens have a timing belt maintenance that must be changed every 100k or sometimes less.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mpg difference

Is there a significant difference in the mpg for the 1st generation, and the 2nd generation? Is the belt difficult to replace? My mother likes hiking, but is not mechanically savvy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.