Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to add a grille guard and tail light guards to my 2002 xterra.
Does anyone know where i could get a good deal on one? I want one for looks mainly but i also want it to be strong enough incase of an accident so the grille guard can take most of the damage if it were to happen.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I would not suggest getting a grille guard if you're looking for protection. I (and several others on here) consider them 'damage multipliers' because they bend backwards easily when hit. Therefore, a simple fender bender turns into having to replace the fender, headlights, hood, grill, etc. as you can see from the pic below.

Also, most taillight guards for our trucks are sadly fake. Instead of bolting to metal around the taillight most use double-sided tape and stick on the headlight it self. That means what would've been a little crack, could now be breaking the whole taillight.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Neither does what you want it to.

They make real bumpers that guard the grill/front end though, but grill guards, due to how they have to mount on an X, use too long a curved lever arm to curve down under the bumper to reach the frame horns.

In even a minor collision, that long lever levers the grill guard back too easily, so that the guard, ironically, tends to cause more damage than if you didn't have it.

I bought a used X that came with a grill guard...and the first thing I did was take it off before it caused me any damage.

>:D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Let's call it what it is, its more of a "brush" guard more than anything, it will move leaves out of the way for you but as soon as you encounter any impact then bye bye front

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.