Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Xterra SE 4x4 V6 NA
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone.

To continue with my hike at Grand Canyon between Papago Creek and Zuni Point I found an arch-cave just below the cliff I was walking on. From what I can tell it was created by 2 giant boulders resting on top of each other.

There was a storm moving into the area and the rain was starting to fall.
I could also hear thunder which meant that lightning was coming down in the area.
I obviously couldn't go back to my Xterra since I was at least a couple of miles away from it.

When I saw this cave below the cliff I decided to try and get to it.
Since rock is not an electrically conductive material I figured it would make a good shelter until the storm passed.

These 3 photos were taken with my new Fisheye lens, and as you can see it was wide enough to cover the entire cave.

One photo shows me standing near the cave entrance.

I noticed scorch marks on the rear of the cave wall, which meant that ancient Indians might have also used this cave as a shelter. This makes sense due to the fact that the area used to be home to the ancient Sinagua People and I did find some old ruins along the cliffs. There wasn’t much left of the ruins. Just rocks piled in square patterns.

A lightning strike came down near my location and I did capture it, but that photo will go up for sale.

I still have some photos left to share from my last trip, but I will be going back to Grand Canyon tomorrow so I will resume sending out photos after I get back on Wednesday. I doubt I will get any storm photos tomorrow since the weather forecast is for bright sunny skies.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,308 Posts
Good morning everyone.

To continue with my hike at Grand Canyon between Papago Creek and Zuni Point I found an arch-cave just below the cliff I was walking on. From what I can tell it was created by 2 giant boulders resting on top of each other.

There was a storm moving into the area and the rain was starting to fall.
I could also hear thunder which meant that lightning was coming down in the area.
I obviously couldn't go back to my Xterra since I was at least a couple of miles away from it.

When I saw this cave below the cliff I decided to try and get to it.
Since rock is not an electrically conductive material I figured it would make a good shelter until the storm passed.

These 3 photos were taken with my new Fisheye lens, and as you can see it was wide enough to cover the entire cave.

One photo shows me standing near the cave entrance.

I noticed scorch marks on the rear of the cave wall, which meant that ancient Indians might have also used this cave as a shelter. This makes sense due to the fact that the area used to be home to the ancient Sinagua People and I did find some old ruins along the cliffs. There wasn’t much left of the ruins. Just rocks piled in square patterns.

A lightning strike came down near my location and I did capture it, but that photo will go up for sale.

I still have some photos left to share from my last trip, but I will be going back to Grand Canyon tomorrow so I will resume sending out photos after I get back on Wednesday. I doubt I will get any storm photos tomorrow since the weather forecast is for bright sunny skies.
Thanks. I especially like the color and balance of your 2nd photo 1060. Well done!

·
Registered
Xterra SE 4x4 V6 NA
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I especially like the color and balance of your 2nd photo 1060. Well done!
It was a cloudy day when I shot that.
Cloudy days can be problematic when it comes to color.
I have my camera set for Highlight Weighted exposure metering. This reduces or eliminates the blowouts that can occur when shooting clouds.
Also, I have my white balance set for automatic since I almost never know what the lighting conditions will be when I go on these trips, but it also has a sub-adjustment that I set to preserve warmer colors in the event that I have to deal with overcast skies.
Since I shoot in RAW I can adjust the white balance if needed during the RAW development process.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts