Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every one!

I do not have an Xterra *yet* but I have been looking around the forums for a week now. This is also my first post!

Here is my dilemma, I want an Xterra I cannot find any good ones here in Houston, TX. The ones with good mileage are 2WD and the 4 WD have a lot of mileage. I work long hours and lack the technical knowledge to service a high-maintenance car. Should I give up on Xterra and look for something else (suggestions appreciated) or should I start looking at older models? If so, what mileage/year would be a good combination?

And here is my introduction/background since this is my first post :)

I love going on roadtrips and "car camping". I had a convertible mustang that a drunk driver totaled a few weeks back. Now its all settled and I got the insurance check.

While I loved my Mustang to pieces, it wasn't very good for road trips, state parks and camping. Also, I tried off-roading in Colorado and it was one of the best experiences I have ever had (I think it was an Armada if memory serves).

After a lot of research, I decided I wanted an off roader, I will give up the freedom of open top driving for that of off road driving!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Off road camping is the best! you won't miss the convertible at all..

Id like to say My xterra has never let me down, but thats a lie, Ive had to replace the power steering pump, brake booster and just recently had to rebuild my whole engine. I still love my xterra, it's been my favourite car out of the 30+ I've owned..
Youll want to find one with a good service history recepits.. I wouldnt be overly concerned with mileage provided all the maintenance has been done!

If you cant find an xterra, 4 runners are slightly less cool but just as capable.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Don't be afraid to travel for one. I got lucky and my xterra was in my hometown but i went from oregon to Arizona to pick up my acura and couldn't be happier with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't be afraid to travel for one. I got lucky and my xterra was in my hometown but i went from oregon to Arizona to pick up my acura and couldn't be happier with it.
I dont mind traveling! I have been looking into, I wish car sales were more online friendly :/

Thank you :)

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
try autotempest.com thats how i found mine, it searches everything from eBay, to craigslist, to cars.com. Thats how i found my acura cause i wanted a combo that wasn't really sold in the NW.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
try autotempest.com thats how i found mine, it searches everything from eBay, to craigslist, to cars.com. Thats how i found my acura cause i wanted a combo that wasn't really sold in the NW.
Thanks again!

Here are my current two leads:

2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X $17,995 Mileage: 46585

2015 Nissan Xterra​ X FWD (with pro-4x wheels) $24,991 Mileage ~20K

These are pre-haggling prices ... both black, I really wanted yellow, but oh well ... black is still awesome

Pro-4X vs X FWD ? ... am I missing out if I go with the 2015 non-pro4x?

... I am already going through mods haha!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Grease Monkey and [MENTION]miskywisky[/MENTION] If I get a good price for the 2015 S should I go with it over the 2011 Pro-X? I get dealer certified pre-owned warranty. On the other hand I will be missing on Bilstein suspension and assist Roof rack off-road lights which I can get later. My main concern is if I get the S trim, can I fit it with the electronic rear differential locking later?
Thanks, I might be pulling the trigger on this tomorrow!!! :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
If it were me buying it, Id get the pro 4x without hesitation.. better equipped, cool stickers and youll never pull up to the lights next to one and wish you had sprung for the pro 4x.

But I dont actually know too much about the new xterras I have a supercharged 2002 thats my pride and joy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it were me buying it, Id get the pro 4x without hesitation.. better equipped, cool stickers and youll never pull up to the lights next to one and wish you had sprung for the pro 4x.

But I dont actually know too much about the new xterras I have a supercharged 2002 thats my pride and joy.
Soooooo, this is very embarrassing ... all the Pro 4x's I could find were sick shift, I haven't used a stick shift in a decade and now I test drove the stick shift I did horrible ... oh my man card!

@miskywhisky I misspelled your handle earlier ... I would like to hear your take on this

·
Registered
4 Posts
317,000 and going strong

I have a 2002 XE 4WD, that I purchased new. I've always used synthetic oil, but otherwise nothing special. I've had to replace head gaskets at 100k mile service interval, have done timing belt twice, had a couple cracked exhaust manifolds, replaced one catalytic converter, 1 new muffler, and 3 of the fuel injectors. That said, none of these issues EVER kept me from driving the vehicle, and were caught at maintenance points. I now have over 317k miles and it runs perfectly, & doesn't use any oil. It'll go ANYWHERE, including through 16"+ of snow. So, don't be afraid of miles as long as someone has maintained well enough. I'm about to buy another used one for my 81 year old mother.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Why give up? Buy whatcha like, buy an automatic and buy the extended warranty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts