Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after I did a bunch of repairs to my 2007 Xterra S and it was running great....It quit starting. I had this problem like 6 months ago but kind of forgot about it as it started working again randomly. Anyways, I have a new starter in the mail and decided to work on the car while it's shipping.

I spent 2 hours under the vehicle trying to remove an impossible bolt from the starter cover. It's deep in a gap and at an angle. I tried so many things. Finally I was able to get a swivel socket with an extender in there, and because of the odd angle I couldn't get enough tork to break it!

I got the service manual and it says that I have to remove the exhaust manifold cover to access this bolt and says to check section EX-5, so I go there and there is no specific guide to removing the exhaust manifold cover (!) so I'm pretty confused. I can't seem to find any videos for the 2007 series engine, even in a Frontier or Pathfinder. Any hacks for reaching this impossible bolt or how to remove my exhaust manifold cover? Thanks so much yall. I love my car and I really wanna get it up and running. My work recently went out of business and it's been really hard getting a job with no vehicle.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,151 Posts
So after I did a bunch of repairs to my 2007 Xterra S and it was running great....It quit starting. I had this problem like 6 months ago but kind of forgot about it as it started working again randomly. Anyways, I have a new starter in the mail and decided to work on the car while it's shipping.

I spent 2 hours under the vehicle trying to remove an impossible bolt from the starter cover. It's deep in a gap and at an angle. I tried so many things. Finally I was able to get a swivel socket with an extender in there, and because of the odd angle I couldn't get enough tork to break it!

I got the service manual and it says that I have to remove the exhaust manifold cover to access this bolt and says to check section EX-5, so I go there and there is no specific guide to removing the exhaust manifold cover (!) so I'm pretty confused. I can't seem to find any videos for the 2007 series engine, even in a Frontier or Pathfinder. Any hacks for reaching this impossible bolt or how to remove my exhaust manifold cover? Thanks so much yall. I love my car and I really wanna get it up and running. My work recently went out of business and it's been really hard getting a job with no vehicle.
Do you have a "breaker bar" socket wrench handle that is about 16" long that will fit your swivel socket? That should give you the extra torque needed to break that pesky bolt loose. Even a length of steel pipe that will fit over the short socket wrench handle you have will give you the length you probably need to get the advantage on that bolt. If you spray the bolt head with some WD-40 or other penetrating oil it should help the effort also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just replaced the starter on my 2005 Xterra. I took out the 2 bolts towards the rear of the vehicle on the cover with a 10mm wrench and that gave me the necessary access to the forward facing bolt on the starter. Perhaps some PB Blaster or WD-40 is needed but that shouldn't be giving you that much guff. Best of luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts