Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, first real post here. i own a 04 xterra with 91k. Great truck! Glad to be a part of the forums to talk all about the love, sweat and tears we put into our X's.:eek:

Ok now to the problem im having. the ac stopped blowing cold when i needed it to last week(starting to warm up in florida) so i bought a gauge set to see where the pressure is at. low side around 25psi then jump to 45psi comp was switching fine but the high side was stuck at 51psi i dont think that is normal so being a daily driver for work i had to drive around this past week just using the fan when needed.
so yesterday i was driving and went to turn the fan on and a loud noise came from the engine, turned off and pulled over to check. seems the ac comp clutch was stuck and pulling drag on the engine belt. i am able to drive around but now i know i have to be sure that the ac button is out before using fan.
tested with gauges today car running and ac off and it just reads 110on low and 115 on high side.
any help tips or comments welcome im no mechanic just looking for others that want to share or maybe have been down this road. thanks in advance:)

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
So the AC compressor clutch is seized?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the AC compressor clutch is seized?
That would be my guess, unless just the clutch seized. But the way things happen im guessing it is the comp. Also the Expansion valve might be clogged, I do remember hearing some kind of fart sound for 2seconds coming from the passenger dash/airbag area first when I turn the AC on the week before the seize.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Your expansion valve could have failed, or your compressor failed...if you have that much pressure on the low side, I would lean toward compressor failure...and I would replace the expansion valve too since I would be having to evacuate the system anyway and wouldn't want to risk having to do it twice

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Time to buy parts

Thanks for the info and help. So I have some free time and money this week, ready to pull the trigger on the AC rebuild. Will be buying a compressor and expansion valve online. I did have a hard time trying to find a receiver/drier replacement. The input/output fittings on the Condensor are flanged and one I got from local auto parts store is not, so does not fit and returned it. They said I have to replace the whole front Condensor/radiator. Anyone else have problem replacing only the drier?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Dude, I always order from Rockauto.com, never have had a problem with fitment or compatibility...and if anyone ever has, they make it right...shipping is decent and prices are usually lowest I can find for quality parts...but do your research on the brands...some are not oem quality, but aren't crap by any standard either

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Rockauto. Also check your high pressure hose (going from condenser to the compressor). They have a tendency to leak at the crimped fittings (I only have 82k miles). For 34 bucks per hose, it is worth it to replace it since you have to evacuate the system anyway.

I got Firestone to evacuate my AC system of all refrigerant ($85 + cost of refrigerant). I ordered the parts from Rock Auto to replace hose and drier. I will take it back to Firestone this weekend to get it filled back up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok finally got some things replaced.
High pressure hose(the culprit)
Compressor, Condensor.
Radiator, hoses and thermostat.
Flush evap behind glovebox and all lines.
Replaced expansion valve. Pita! Btw

Today taking out compressor to check for oil and replace with correct amount before hooking lines all back up.
Will keep posted

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Just following up, I'm back in business!!! ahhh cool air just in time for Hurricane season lol.
So I ended up replacing the condenser/drier as one unit instead of just the drier (have an xtra now anyone locally needs lmk)
Flushed out Evaporator and lines from evap to compressor and condenser.
Replaced expansion valve and all new o-rings, then hooked it all back up. (Be careful with aluminum nuts on lines easy to strip)
Pulled vacuum and Recharged system.
2 weeks now no leaks ❄

I'm not good at breaking down detail in write ups so I'm roughly telling you what I went through the past few months. I did replace a lot of stuff because I plan on keeping the car.

Initially the problem started with the high pressure hose leaking at the crimp(infamous problem)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.