Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
getting a new battery for 2004 xterra but which one? Does it take an AGM battery or a lead acid battery?

·
Registered
2003, Xterra XE, 4x4, manual trans
31 Posts
Had great reliability with Everstart Maxx lead acid type. 34N with 800 cold cranking amps. N is for "northern" cold areas in North America.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,383 Posts
getting a new battery for 2004 xterra but which one? Does it take an AGM battery or a lead acid battery?
AGM batteries are for modern cars that stress the battery with the automated stop and start of the engine at stop lights etc.
Lead acid in the old dogs. I like Autozone Gold for going a good 4 or 5 years even.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,792 Posts
About a year ago I bought a lead-acid battery from WalMart for not much over $120 with 850 CCA. It's in the rig now. Stock is around 650. That just means it should last a little longer before needing replaced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AAAARG! got a lead acid gold battery at advanced auto parts. It lasted 4days and it won't take a jump. what is happening?

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,792 Posts
AAAARG! got a lead acid gold battery at advanced auto parts. It lasted 4days and it won't take a jump. what is happening?
You either have a bad battery, or you have a parasitic loss. My money is on the latter.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,383 Posts
Seems we need more details of the failure symptoms of this new battery. Does the engine crank but not start or is it no crank with a low voltage showing at the battery? What is the voltage measured at the battery with the vehicle not running? Did Advance check the condition of your old battery before they sold you a new one or was it a grab and go? Hard to blame the battery if you don't know if it is being charged by the alternator and you have solid connections from the battery to ground and the starter. If it doesn't respond to a jump start those connections are in question.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts