Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get my 04 Xterra running again after sitting for 2 years in a garage. When I left it it was still running decently besides some undiagnosed issue in one of the cylinders.

Before starting it up again I want to make sure I've gone through everything so I don't end up damaging anything in the process. This is my first time leaving a vehicle this long without starting it.

So far what I've done is:
  • Remove the old coolant and replace with new clean coolant in the reservoir
  • Oil and filter change
  • Clean the throttle body and mass air flow sensor
  • New air filter just for kicks
  • Siphoned out the old fuel and replaced it with new fuel
  • Applied fogger to the cylinders
  • Checked all the spark plugs and wires (damn is that #6 a pain)
  • Replaced the battery with a new one
I wanted to see if anybody had any other suggestions of things to check or do before I try starting it up. This was the first car I learned to work on and has taken me over 300,000 MI so needless to say I want to treat it right!

·
Registered
2003 natural aspirated 3.3
139 Posts
I'd say your doing a pretty good job so far. Have anyone to help or is it all up to you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd say your doing a pretty good job so far. Have anyone to help or is it all up to you?
Good to hear! Just me. Have had some decent experience with working on cars/trucks since I got this one a long time ago but I know I still have a whole bunch to learn!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When was the last time the brake fluid was flushed/replaced?
Honestly its been a while.... too long. Just went out and checked and its pretty dark. Ill plan on changing that out with some fresh fluid tomorrow. Thank you!

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,469 Posts
Honestly its been a while.... too long. Just went out and checked and its pretty dark. Ill plan on changing that out with some fresh fluid tomorrow. Thank you!
When you do, I'd recommend what I learned from other knowledgeable folks. Remove as much old brake fluid as possible from the reservoir, then very slowly pour in new fluid. Start bleeding normally from right rear, etc., topping off as needed. When you're done, the only old fluid in the system will be in the part of the system with ABS, but cycling that for a complete flush/bleed takes a computer and more skill than I have.

I did all 4 on my 2011 car by myself using just a vacuum hand pump. I did not need to pump the brake pedal or anything else. Just pumped the handle, crack the bleeder, top off the fluid. Lather, rinse, repeat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I have everything completed to turn it over except for all of the gas out of the tank. I figured this would be an easy task but I've tried two different size tubes but they both seem to bottom out in the same spot.

The tubes are not touching any fuel and from what I've been reading it sounds like there's a hard curve before reaching the fuel tank that the tube can't get past.

Any other ideas on how to siphon the gas out of the tank?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you do, I'd recommend what I learned from other knowledgeable folks. Remove as much old brake fluid as possible from the reservoir, then very slowly pour in new fluid. Start bleeding normally from right rear, etc., topping off as needed. When you're done, the only old fluid in the system will be in the part of the system with ABS, but cycling that for a complete flush/bleed takes a computer and more skill than I have.

I did all 4 on my 2011 car by myself using just a vacuum hand pump. I did not need to pump the brake pedal or anything else. Just pumped the handle, crack the bleeder, top off the fluid. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Thank you so much for the recommendation. I definitely keep that in mind. Right now I think I just wanted to make sure I can turn over before I put a lot of work into something else. As soon as I can get it too start I'll get to work on the brakes and the brake fluid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts