Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a Curt Mfg. hitch, model 13183 for my 2002 Nissan Xterra. During installation, I found that I have the OEM tow package frame stiffeners already installed. I'd like to use these, but need the OEM bolts.

Does anyone know where I can get the OEM bolts and washers? Otherwise, does anyone know the specs on the bolts as well as the recommended torque?

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Not sure on specs - you might need to pull the stiffeners and take them to a good bolt shop. They're going to be metric, grade 10.9, and I think I remember them being fine thread.

For torque specs here's the FSM:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Xterra/2002_Xterra/

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Do the bolts go into captive nuts or go straight through? If not into captive nuts, just measure the holes and get something close in grade 8.

Also, there are two versions of the stiffeners. One is a lot bigger than the other. The small one really isn't adequate for towing - it's maybe 8" long? The bigger ones are maybe 18" long.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Curt hitch I bought shows that the bolts should just go straight through. This isn't the case due to the stiffeners and the built in nuts on the stiffeners. I'm not sure about total length. They seemed pretty long but I'll have to take another look tomorrow and report back, pretty cramped under there.

Curt Mfg. seems to indicate that the stiffeners are not required, but a lot of people seem to recommend them, so I'd like to leave them in place if possible. They looked rather difficult to remove, I'm an IT nerd not a car guy so I'm trying to avoid pulling them out to do a bolt match. You would think something like this would be easily looked up, yet I spent over two hours googling with no luck.

Your information gives me a good starting point and a direction though. I'm going to try and call Nissan tomorrow to see if they have any information on the bolt sizes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts