Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting like 15mpg on avg now that I’m driving my X to work. 70% hwy. Is this comparable to others? I realize it’s an aero brick and I try to keep it below 65mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
3,220 Posts
Here's a link to post #7 in my thread that I started after buying my 2nd Xterra, a 2004 3.3L non-SC auto 4WD. It shows and tells all what you can expect in warmer weather and with an engine that runs well. Spoiler alert: I was able to get above 20 mpg!

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, makes me feel a little better… I have an old m5 that gets similar crappy mileage. Gas was relatively cheap back then along with less regulations or aggressive CAFE to drive innovation.

· Registered
2,009 Posts
I've driven my 2003 X with my OBDLink running so that I can monitor the fuel efficiency in real time on my phone. As expected, how you accelerate plays a huge role in your gas mileage. Obviously faster acceleration means higher consumption. Also anticipating the traffic ahead of you. It's far better to lay off the skinny pedal and coast to a stop or a slower speed than drive full speed up to a bunch of stopped traffic and then have to accelerate from 0 again. I've been able to get 19MPG city/highway when driving very conservatively and practically making a game out of it. Driving like normaI can easily drop that to 15 or 16 mpg. Much less than that driving like the average lunatic.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Helpful info everyone. Mine is stock except for 32” tires which raises it about an inch. I’ll play around with my throttle inputs and maybe quit downshifting (5spd) to see what happens.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
265 / 75 R 16
Bridgestone Revo 3 - 31.7” diameter per Tire Rack

Had to remove the front mud flaps and slide the front bumper assy max fwd on its slotted mounts to eliminate any rubbing. Rear has been fine as-is.

· Registered
2003 Xterra XE 3.3, 4WD, 5-speed Manual
46 Posts
Helpful info everyone. Mine is stock except for 32” tires which raises it about an inch. I’ll play around with my throttle inputs and maybe quit downshifting (5spd) to see what happens.

When striving for fuel efficiency RPMs are important to watch, but so is speed. XTerras have a very high coefficient of drag (measured when stationary). Most physical modifications cause the coefficient of drag to increase. When a car moves drag increases with the square of velocity. When traveling at 55 MPH the drag is almost 50% greater than it is at 45 MPH. Traveling at 65 MPH creates drag that is about double that at 45 MPH.

I have a 5-speed manual and keep the RPMs high when driving steep mountain roads, but keep my speed down and resist braking in the corners, and I get 16-18 MPG. I get 20-22 MPG driving 50 MPH in the valleys on straighter highways even when pushing the RPMs up to maintain speed in anticipation of hills.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When striving for fuel efficiency RPMs are important to watch, but so is speed. XTerras have a very high coefficient of drag (measured when stationary). Most physical modifications cause the coefficient of drag to increase. When a car moves drag increases with the square of velocity. When traveling at 55 MPH the drag is almost 50% greater than it is at 45 MPH. Traveling at 65 MPH creates drag that is about double that at 45 MPH.

I have a 5-speed manual and keep the RPMs high when driving steep mountain roads, but keep my speed down and resist braking in the corners, and I get 16-18 MPG. I get 20-22 MPG driving 50 MPH in the valleys on straighter highways even when pushing the RPMs up to maintain speed in anticipation of hills.
Good info to share, thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts