Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few months ago I replaced the shifter cable and shifter on my 2002 automatic.

Everything was working great except for some reason I was able to I shift through the gears even without the key in the ignition. Strange, but not a huge deal.

Well last week I needed a jump after leaving the lights on and the car wouldn't shift out of park. I was able to get going using the screwdriver thing. For the past week sometimes it works fine or with some fiddling, and sometimes I need to use the screwdriver in the shift lock release.

Today though, the key is stuck in the ignition on 1. I can't get it to turn to lock and come out. I've tried moving the steering wheel, shifting in and out of gear, driving around and parking level. Been a couple hours and can't get it. Any thoughts?

Seems like it has to be related to the shifter and the battery dying but I don't get it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I just realized that it's back to where I can move the shifter with the car off and without my foot on the brake.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would love to help but not sure how. If you could get pictures of the shifter cables, maybe I could compare to mine that are stock and see if there’s maybe a bushing or some attachment that’s missing. I don’t know much about it but I know that weird things can happen from security issues between the key and the computer so if you have a backup key that’s in better shape, give that a shot, just bringing it in the car so that the computer senses it. Other than that I’m not sure! I don’t even know what the screwdriver method is but it sounds sorta badass

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would love to help but not sure how. If you could get pictures of the shifter cables, maybe I could compare to mine that are stock and see if there’s maybe a bushing or some attachment that’s missing. I don’t know much about it but I know that weird things can happen from security issues between the key and the computer so if you have a backup key that’s in better shape, give that a shot, just bringing it in the car so that the computer senses it. Other than that I’m not sure! I don’t even know what the screwdriver method is but it sounds sorta badass
I actually bought an oem cable so I doubt that's the problem. I agree it's probably some security issue but the key is just the regular kind without electronics in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts