Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang. Opening up my 2004 3.3 X to address multiple issues. Most notably - stalling while idling. I notice when I open the throttle butterfly, it smells strongly like fuel. Is this a symptom of failing FPR or leaky fuel injectors?

A few other questions on things I discovered (see photos):

I found what appears to be a pipe cleaner inside the air line coming out of the top of the valve cover. This has to be foreign matter right?

I found this electrical connector unplugged near the EVAP purge valve. Is this supposed to be connected to something?

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
My guess is that you have a leaky FPR diaphragm. To test this, run the engine and pull the vacuum line that goes from the FPR to the back of the intake manifold. It's one of the two small lines. If fuel dribbles out of the vacuum line it's gone bad.

That little pipe cleaner is supposed to be there. It's in mine as well. The first time I saw it I was a little surprised. As far as I can tell it's there to prevent larger foreign matter from travelling through the system.

As for the electrical connector, If it's the one I'm thinking of, then I also have it and it's not connected to anything and I've never been able to ascertain what it's actual function is. It may very well be used in the SC models and they just share the same wire harness with the normally aspirated models to keep things simple.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I've already got it apart. I can smell fuel in the FPR vacuum line, but there isn't any liquid so maybe it evaporated. The strong fuel smell is coming from the lower intake passages. So I'm thinking maybe the injectors are leaking too. I haven't run the truck in a week or more. I've never dug into the fuel system before. Is it still pressurized? If so, how can I relieve pressure? Any tips you guys have on cleaning or replacing these components are welcomed.

·
Registered
709 Posts
It should not still be pressurized after a week, but it never hurts to be cautious. I've always just disconnected the line, but do protect your eyes if you are unsure and of course it goes without saying that it's not to be done by candle light. :p

If you end up replacing injectors, but only replace a few you should make sure that any new ones match the color code of the one it replaces and they should also match all the other injectors. If you replace all of them you should be fine regardless of the color code so long as all the new injectors match each other.

Check online. There should be some decent videos on testing and cleaning injectors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts