Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 2003 se with a fuel sending unit issue. I had to replace the fuel sending unit and the float rod keeps hanging up on the box the pump is in. I noticed the pump box moves around, a lot, is it supposed to? it either reads full or empty all the time, quite annoying. As you know it is a bee ach to see down in there. I have tried to put it off to the side but it keeps hanging up on the top or the bottom....

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I have an 2003 se with a fuel sending unit issue. I had to replace the fuel sending unit and the float rod keeps hanging up on the box the pump is in. I noticed the pump box moves around, a lot, is it supposed to? it either reads full or empty all the time, quite annoying. As you know it is a bee ach to see down in there. I have tried to put it off to the side but it keeps hanging up on the top or the bottom....
Factory Service Manuals - NICOclub
FSM page FL-6
I would be checking to see if the fuel pump is mounted correctly and securely. It certainly wasn't designed to interfere with the float level arm.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know the pump clicked into place when I replaced it with the new sending unit. I'm gonna have to pull the thing out again to see how this supposed to work. Don't seem like much room btwn the pump box and the side wall of the tank for the float rod, I'm thinking maybe it somehow it got bent...is the box anchored down or is it supposed to move around ?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I know the pump clicked into place when I replaced it with the new sending unit. I'm gonna have to pull the thing out again to see how this supposed to work. Don't seem like much room btwn the pump box and the side wall of the tank for the float rod, I'm thinking maybe it somehow it got bent...is the box anchored down or is it supposed to move around ?
Never been in to the tank on a Gen 1 2003. I would take note of the top view picture of the assembly installed in the tank as shown in the FSM page I attached. I would think you need to have the orientation of the fuel line connections relative to the front of the vehicle and tank as shown in the picture. That's all going to obviously relate to how the float is located in the tank.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never been in to the tank on a Gen 1 2003. I would take note of the top view picture of the assembly installed in the tank as shown in the FSM page I attached. I would think you need to have the orientation of the fuel line connections relative to the front of the vehicle and tank as shown in the picture. That's all going to obviously relate to how the float is located in the tank.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks XT2015. There appears only one way the sending unit can go in to line up with the fuel lines and that puts the float pointing forward which is in the diagram. Now when put the sending unit in the float rod is either on top of the pump box which makes it read full all the time. I was able to set it along side of the box and it gets stuck on the bottom of the box that's why I was wondering if the pump box is supposed to be secured to the bottom of the tank to keep it from moving around and hanging up the float rod??
I have to leave for a few hours, I'll check my messages when I get back later this afternoon.... Thanks again, Mike

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Thanks XT2015. There appears only one way the sending unit can go in to line up with the fuel lines and that puts the float pointing forward which is in the diagram. Now when put the sending unit in the float rod is either on top of the pump box which makes it read full all the time. I was able to set it along side of the box and it gets stuck on the bottom of the box that's why I was wondering if the pump box is supposed to be secured to the bottom of the tank to keep it from moving around and hanging up the float rod??
I have to leave for a few hours, I'll check my messages when I get back later this afternoon.... Thanks again, Mike
I'm starting to wonder if you have the right fuel pump and level sender parts. This interference with the float shouldn't be an issue.
2003 Nissan Xterra Fuel Sender Unit Replacement Kit - 25060-4S426 - Genuine Nissan Part (nissanusa.com)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
before I swapped them out I set them side by side to make sure there was no difference, they matched up. I'm gonna pull it out right now and have another look around.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the pump and unit out, the pump box inside the tank is attached to something in the back of it but the front moves all over. I stuck my hand down in there and could feel some sort of a tab fixed to the bottom of the tank, don't have a clue what thats for but perhaps that is what holds down the front of the box.... I will investigate more...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I have the pump and unit out, the pump box inside the tank is attached to something in the back of it but the front moves all over. I stuck my hand down in there and could feel some sort of a tab fixed to the bottom of the tank, don't have a clue what thats for but perhaps that is what holds down the front of the box.... I will investigate more...
Seems you are on to the scent. Perhaps that box slips over the tab somehow as you say to fix it in place.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so far so good, I made sure the box was set on top of the tab which is spot welded in place had to make sure not to bend it to so not to break it off the weld. Not much room btwn the box and the side of the tank but seems to be working. I'll repost after a few tanks full.... CHEERS...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
so far so good, I made sure the box was set on top of the tab which is spot welded in place had to make sure not to bend it to so not to break it off the weld. Not much room btwn the box and the side of the tank but seems to be working. I'll repost after a few tanks full.... CHEERS...
Sounds like you found the magic.

·
Registered
'03 Xterra SE 2WD, 175K
21 Posts
I'm shopping for a sending unit for our '03 SE & getting part #'s:
25060-4S426 (Without low fuel indicator. )
&
25060-4S415 (to 09/99. EXC.Low Fuel Warning )
Anybody know what the difference is between these two?

Also, is the low fuel indicator sensor that these two sending units are advertised to be without a part that can be added or salvaged from the old unit? Or is there a different part # that i'm not finding for a sending unit that has the low fuel indicator included?

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts