Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so here's the story:

FSU shows corrosion at the electric connector, Nissan has a recall, but I would have to tow the Xterra 100 miles to have it repaired. I got the part and did it myself. The connector for the return line to the fuel pump is a pain to get off, I saw that on the forums, I was careful removing it but broke one of the arms getting it out of there.

FSU repair kit came with an extra connector, I figured I would cut the old one off and try to get this new one on there. I cannot for the life of me get it on. The return line is plastic and does not stretch and I am damaging the hose using plyers to get leverage to force it on. Any suggestions?

I saw a post where someone cut the connector off and spilced into it with some other hoses, but you need something that will tolerate being inside the gas tank.has anyone had this problem? What did you do to repair it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the forum post about cutting it off:

I remember that thing. I HATED it, and I couldn't get it off either. Here's what I did:

The fast connection thing is for the factory so they can move more parts through. You don't need it. You just need a way to connect the fuel pump to that line so it leaves the tank. Cut it off and take a small section of fuel line hose, and connect it using some fuel injection hose clamps. Done. That's how I did mine, and it's been working fine for a while. Just take a razor and slowly cut the side of the quick connector. Don't go too deep where you cut into the plastic tube behind it. I wouldn't use a dremel. They can cut too fast (especially through plastic) and I'd be concerned about a spark. Yes, I know it's plastic.....

One last thing. Cut the hose to where the sending unit will sit in the tank. This will make sense when you get it together. The factory hose is crinkled to allow for some movement, but you won't have that. You may need to trim it down a few times before it sits just right. But you can do it. I did. And I'm an idiot.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts