Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Xterra XE. how much should it cost to replace the gas pump at a shop. They are telling me $1,000 and I think this is way too much

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,794 Posts
I'd never pay that. Check with a different shop!

·
Registered
2003, Xterra XE, 4x4, manual trans
31 Posts
Gas pump in the tank is under the rear passenger seat, easy access. Maybe the estimate person thought the gas tank had to be removed which would be more labor $$.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Yeah, that is way too high for replacing the pump in an X. It's as simple as disconnecting the battery (DO NOT skip this step). Making sure the fuel tank is empty... ish, and then pulling the rear passenger seat cushion out (there are two tabs that you pull at the front of the cushion to release it). Then you can see the access panel. Undo the bolts and you have access to the pump. Undo the wire harness. Undo the bolts. Pull the old pump. Install the new pump. Put some dielectric grease in the electrical connectors and button it all back up. I'd expect it to be about a one hour job at most as the fuel tank does not need to be dropped.

If you or someone who helps you does it for you it is important that it is done outside (not in the garage) with good venitilation. No air impact tools nor electric tools should be use and obviously no smoking.

That said...

There is also a recall for the fuel sending unit on your model year and your vehicle may be included. Basically it's a corrosion issue on the sending unit that sits on top of the pump that causes the fuel pump to not work. If the item has not been previously fixed under warranty the dealership may have to fix it for free. It's worth looking into.
I've provided a link, but you'll have to click to the third page for the correct recall notice.

What is the vehicle doing/not doing that has led to the diagnosis of it needing a pump replacement?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2002 Xterra XE. how much should it cost to replace the gas pump at a shop. They are telling me $1,000 and I think this is way too much
Having no start no crank with my 02 x with 107k miles. will replace the sending unit and pump. pump cost ~$100 and will take less than two hours since it can be accessed from under the rear passenger seat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for your input. If I had a garage I would do this work myself. I did find a mechanic to do it for $400 including parts which I think is reasonable. The Firestone repair shop would not even talk price. They have a book and the cost is the cost. I appreciate everyone here.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Yeah, I've always found that the big box chain shops tend to be over priced. They also have a bad reputation for "add on" items that don't really need doing. If you find a good local mechanic that treats you right and you can trust it makes all the difference.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Having no start no crank with my 02 x with 107k miles. will replace the sending unit and pump. pump cost ~$100 and will take less than two hours since it can be accessed from under the rear passenger seat.
Engine should turn over even if the fuel pump is not energized.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,383 Posts
Once you get the Xterra squared away, take some time and watch the British Comedy Series "The Larkins" on Amazon Prime Video. It's a hoot!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Love the blue X Anna. It's one of my favorite colors for these wee beasties.

As Xtre mentions in response to xtcj7's post. If the starter is not cranking the engine over then the problem is less likely the fuel pump. In that case I would start by troubleshooting the starter/ignition circuit.

2) Check the starter fuses

1) Jump the starter by connecting a jumper directly from the positive terminal on the battery to the positive peg on the starter. IF it cranks then move on. If it doesn't then try connecting a jumper from the negative battery terminal to the engine block near the starter and then jump the positive. If it still doesn't crank then you need a new starter. If it does crank with the negative/ground jumped then the grounding strap to the engine block is likely corroded, disconnected, or otherwise faulty.

3) If it cranks then check and test the starter relay. You can find how to do this on YouTube. It may include jumping hte relay to test the circuit. If the starter cranks when the relay is jumped then it's time for a new relay. If not, move on to the ignition cylinder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts