Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 XE 4x4
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having issues with my front (stock) speakers not working and curious to see what I should check first. They'll come in and out as I hit bumps, if I smack the side of the center dashboard, or if I turn the vent selector aggressively 🤦‍♂️

Any idea where I should check first? It has an aftermarket stereo, so I'm thinking it could just be the harness connections on the back of that. It also has 215k on it, so the wires could just be degraded?

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,151 Posts
I've been having issues with my front (stock) speakers not working and curious to see what I should check first. They'll come in and out as I hit bumps, if I smack the side of the center dashboard, or if I turn the vent selector aggressively 🤦‍♂️

Any idea where I should check first? It has an aftermarket stereo, so I'm thinking it could just be the harness connections on the back of that. It also has 215k on it, so the wires could just be degraded?
The areas you check are naturally the areas that you touch or "smack" that creates change in the speaker output. Those areas are likely to be close to the intermittent piece of the wiring. Yes, check the speaker connection to the radio first.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
2,733 Posts
Here is what the front right speaker looked like in my 2001. Yes, it still made noise, but it needed to be replaced badly. It might be good to take a peek at your speakers to see what condition they're in, unless they were replaced with the new system.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,151 Posts
Here is what the front right speaker looked like in my 2001. Yes, it still made noise, but it needed to be replaced badly. It might be good to take a peek at your speakers to see what condition they're in, unless they were replaced with the new system.
View attachment 80156
That's pretty rough....even for 20 years old. Must have been garage kept!

·
Registered
Xterra SE 4x4 V6 NA
181 Posts

If you're using an aftermarket stereo but still have the stock speakers it could just be loose connections, especially if the sound pops in and out when you hit bumps in the road or smack the dashboard.
I used to repair TVs and stereos and one common problem I found with aftermarket car stereos is if the wires between the stock speakers and the stereo speaker output wires were joined with a simple wire-nut or butt-connector, those can work loose from vibration. The best connection is a hard soldering of the separate wires with shrink tubing to shield the soldered connections so that they don't accidentally short together.
Another common problem is solder joints for the speaker output connectors cracking where they meet the circuit board in the stereo. This cracking can easily be fixed by re-soldering the joints where the connector pins meet the circuit board. I remember customers bringing me stereos with this kind of problem at least 3 times a week when I used to have a repair shop.

The only other thing I can think of is that the stock speakers are worn out like what was pictured by MeToo and need to be replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2004 X that I completely removed the stock system & interior in order to run all new OFC heavy gauge wiring/ grounds & sound deadening, component speakers, 3 Memphis amps (1 for highs & 2 for my 3x12” alpine R subs in sealed enclosure), new Navi head unit & brake bypass. So I’ve spent some time messing with the wiring behind the dash. 1) is ur sound system fully stock or is there an aftermarket head unit? If aftermarket, pull out the deck make sure all the wires are crimped properly & nothings loose or shorting on the sharp metal back there.
2) if the system is stock, make sure ur harnesses are tight & all the fuses are firmly seated. If that doesn’t help, u might need to pull off some door panels or do some continuity testing with ur speaker wires.
If ur considering upgrading from a stock radio, now is the time to do it while the dash is apart. Btw there’s plenty of guides how to open & install a new head unit.

·
Registered
2003 XE 4x4
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the troubleshooting, folks! Turns out it was some shoddy connections between the harnesses. Easy fix, and the 19 year old speakers are back in action! Probably not the best audio, but at least they're on now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts