Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i put some new bilsteins on my 2002. when i went to tighten the bottom bolts of the front shocks to the recommended torque ( 87 to 108 ft-lbs ), the lockwashers splayed open before i got to the minimum. so....i went and got some 1/2 inch grade 8 lockwashers, and the same thing happened. any suggestions?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure what the oem washer looks like. I went to the nissan parts website, and there is no listing for a front shock washer. The split ring washers were on the truck from when I had desert rat install rancho shocks a few years ago.

·
Brooklyn br0
'01XE 4x4 3.3AT Locked SAS 35's
3,309 Posts
Crap, I don’t remember what the OEM one is. Nissan has it listed as a “Washer Loc” but I can’t remember if it’s a split ring or a crush washer and I can’t get to my truck right now. Sorry bro.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The bottom ones. I know they've got a good amount of torque on them because I had to use a breaker bar to loosen them. I did more research, and found the OEM washer. It is called "washer-spring" in the nissan parts catalog. I'll go to the nissan dealer this week and get some. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
96 Posts
EDIT: Fixed my stupidity.

Found this thread as the first result on a google search.

For reference to others that may have ended up here the same way I did (by searching for REAR specs). The proper torques for the bolts at both the top and the bottom of the REAR shocks on a 2002 Xterra (like mine) is 30-37 ft-lbs on both the top and bottom nuts. Don't make the same mistake I did and trust other sites on a google search for your torque settings. :D

ALWAYS REFER TO THE FACTORY SERVICE MANUALS

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
10,366 Posts
Found this thread as the first result on a google search.

Guys. The torque specs you GIVE are ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT.

The torques you are giving are for the lug nuts and the hardware for the leaf springs.

The PROPER torques for the bolts at both the top and the bottom of the rear shocks on a 2002 Xterra (like mine) is 30-37 ft-lbs on both the top and bottom nuts.

ALWAYS REFER TO THE FACTORY SERVICE MANUALS
View attachment 80410
Sound advice to always read the FSM. I have another piece of advice, carefully read the original post a few times before you decide to point out someone’s error. If you had you would note the shock torque spec that was being discussed, in this 12 year old thread, was for the bottom shock bolt on the FRONT shocks, not the rears that you posted specs for.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yup. I fucked up. My apologies. I'll edit my post and keep the included FSM page for reference for others. I think there was another post somewhere that called for these high torques on the BACK ones so I may have confused them and posted too hastily in my frustration. Oppsies.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
2,857 Posts
Yup. I fucked up. My apologies. I'll edit my post and keep the included FSM page for reference for others. I think there was another post somewhere that called for these high torques on the BACK ones so I may have confused them and posted too hastily in my frustration. Oppsies.
Dude, it takes a strong person to own up. There's no issue with being wrong and you're gonna fix what you can. Everything's cool as far as this member is concerned.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts