Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have xterra-x 2006.

I have terrible vibration starting from the 35mph and up to 65mph. After replacing shocks and studs vibration got worse.

After front propeller shaft inspection I found excessive play (~ 3mm) at flange yoke (journal on flange yoke) on the side, connected to the transfer case. I guess that is it- replacing shock amplifies un-balanced shaft and creates this resonance.

I went on e-bay and bought re-manufactured propeller shaft assembly and going to replace whole piece. They said this assembly tested and balanced.

I'm going to unbolt the old one, test drive to see if vibration will be gone, after that bolt re-manufactured shaft back- that is my plan.

I'm checking nissan manual PR-5 and it says "put matching marks on the front propeller shaft flange yoke and the front final drive companion flange, unbolt,remove etc." On the schematics also shown, I need to replace all 8 bolts and nuts (4 on each side). I'm going to buy them too

I'm sorry I provide too many details, but the question is: Is there any special instructions how to replace the old front propeller shaft with the new one? I guess I do not need to mark anything because the old shaft will be gone, and the new one should have proper runout by default - all I will need is just to unbolt the old one and bolt the new one back? Is that correct?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I would think so. I think phasing is only important if you're replacing the u joints. BTW you can just replace the u joints - Spicer 1310.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think so. I think phasing is only important if you're replacing the u joints. BTW you can just replace the u joints - Spicer 1310.
Thank you! replace U-joints is an option too- decided to buy whole piece just to save time- cold weather is coming and I do not have garage- have no chose- must finish everything these weekends- additionally they pay $25 for the old one and provide pre-paid label. Mine shaft looks really rusty- not 100% sure if it is still in-balance.... $280-$25= $255 not really bad compare to nissan quote $450 for part plus $150 for labor.

I bought this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221263464553?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Thanks a lot for your reply! Very appreciate!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts