Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys.
My front left Hub is making a weird grinding and kinda whistling sound occasionally. It all started about 2 weeks ago after I was on the highway and ended up slipping out on black ice and sliding into the snowy ditch in 4WD:eek:. No damage to my X but was making this weird sound when I finally got home. It seems to go away after switching into 4WD and back to 2WD shortly after. I can only hear it when driving over 40km/h but like I said goes away after switching to and from 4WD. I slid into the ditch sideways but it was snowy enough that it went in fairly smoothly.
I have a bad feeling in my stomach about this but its only happened 3 times in 2 weeks since the almost accident.
What could be some issues? Transfer case? Locking Hubs? I have no clue.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hub is bad. When they grind like that there toast. Well one of them are. When mine went it did the same thing there is a guy selling one right now on the nissan thingy on facebook for 45 bucks. Not bad. Mine made those grinds when mine went out. I bought x2 changed the bad one and have a spare.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Also what kind of noise is this? Kinda like a whinding noise? I know my hub when i didnt put it on properly made a whinding noise like a shopping cart does but only louder.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea a bit of a clicking noise. Taking front wheels off tonight to take and a look even though I can pretty well guess the issue. Looks like new Warn Manual hubs for me :) Found some on amazon for $270 CDN. Premium's of course. Just not sure what do with my hub covers for my tomahawks. Doesn't look like it will fit over the new hubs since they stick out way further.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The auto hubs are still better than those warns lol but hey if you got the money id say do it!
The money isn't an issue I just thought if im gonna replace them might as well do manuals since from what ive read thats the way to go? no ? Better fuel mileage less wear blah blah blah.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Idk how it would be more mileage? Maybe true if you convert a truck without hubs to having hubs? Cause unlocked hubs are unlocked therefor the drag on them should all be the same. I could have gotten manuals but found the stock auto ones are stronger and i dont have to get out to lock and unlock them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts