Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Afternoon all! Was hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction here. Finally have an off day with decent enough weather to replace my pads and rotors (02 SE, 4WD). Never done the rotors myself before but it's been pretty straightforward so far (thanks to all the forum posts here!!).
Long story short, I've got the rotor and hub off both spindles, but of course they're rusted together like crazy. Damn near baptized them in PB Blaster (steering clear of the bearing of course),and I can't seem to beat them apart with a deadblow and chisel/punch. Already removed the six bolts of course.
If I can't get these separated I'm willing to buy new hubs (though it's a last resort). Problem is, NO ONE has them in stock. Just checked Detroit Axle, and they've only got them for the 2nd Gen.
If anyone has any tips on how to get these off, OR where to purchase new ones, I'd be more than appreciative. Hoping I don't have to purchase too many more tools either, but again if it has to be done I'll have to do it. Working the rest of the week so I'll have little time to work on it after today, and my new work commute starts next week. Hoping to be up and running by then so I don't have to Uber 1.5 hours round-trip each day. Thanks in advance!!

UPDATE: So I may have found some used ones on eBay. There aren't any pictures of the hub itself in the listing though. Waiting on the seller to reply with a picture of it to
A.) verify that it's the exact part I need, and
B.) check the condition of it before buying.
If so, then I'll probably just buy them.
Still open to ideas on how to get this off though. There's still plenty of daylight here. I'll keep you all updated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't done it myself, so I'm sorry that I can't share any experience.

If you need the FSMs, here's a link to download them for free.
I understand, I appreciate the reply and the link though! I had already downloaded the FSM a while back. I don't remember seeing anything about separating these two in there, but I'm sure it wasn't accounting for them being rust-welded together as badly as this either 😂🤦‍♂️

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,579 Posts
Ditch the rotors for new ones, soak mating surface between the two with PB Blaster, chuck the whole assembly in a vice, and start whacking on the hub with a rubber mallet or a computhane hammer.

That or a press. Either way the rotors will be damaged.

·
Registered
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L MT
4 Posts
Made an account just to comment on this and hopefully help you out. I just dealt with this on a '00 X but it was to replace some of the bolts that attach from hub to wheel.

I placed the hub/rotor assembly rotor side up between two 2x4's with enough space in between for the hub to fall out after pounding. Sprayed the hub/bolt area with PB blaster and waited a bit. Then I took a 6 inch 10mm socket extension and a 5 lb sledge hammer and alternated punches in a star pattern with the 10mm side of the extension up (facing me and the hammer). Took a good 15-30 min of solid, I mean really solid blows to get them to separate. Do not underestimate how long it may take and how many solid blows you may need to separate them.

Be sure to put something in the bearing channel so you don't get rust/debris from pounding in there. I think some patience and really hard hits with alternation should do the trick. If you really can't get them to come undone after all of that, follow @RacerXXL's advice. If that doesn't work, I'd pick one up at the junkyard.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Don't the rotors have the threaded holes on the back side that you can lube up and just screw in a couple inch long M8 or M10 bolt and it will slowly push the hub off from the back side as you go?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Don't the rotors have the threaded holes on the back side that you can lube up and just screw in a couple inch long M8 or M10 bolt and it will slowly push the hub off from the back side as you go?
I like the sounds of that!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I checked my manual. You need two M8 X1.25 thread bolts. There are two threaded holes on each rotor. You run the bolts in each side, and crank them a bit each side at a time and it slowly pushes the rotor off the hub no matter how rusted it is. Most hubs these days have that feature.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Also: get good hard bolts like 10.9 and at least twice as long as the rotors are thick so you can't accidentally snap one off, and so you have enough length to push it a good ways if you need to. Save the bolts for repeat use.

·
Registered
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L MT
4 Posts
Also: get good hard bolts like 10.9 and at least twice as long as the rotors are thick so you can't accidentally snap one off, and so you have enough length to push it a good ways if you need to. Save the bolts for repeat use.
Wish I knew this trick before I started hammering away hahaha. Thanks for the tip!
I still had fun hammering though :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts