Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am dealing with what I originally thought was brake/rotor issues as I was experiencing issues when braking and the steering wheel would shake and brake pedal it would stop ok just felt rough doing so. I’m tight on cash at the moment so was driving minimal until I could get it looked at. Well I’m now panicked because the dash lights are coming on and off and the ABS stops engaging and they are going in and out that’s the best way I can explain it. There’s no grinding noise or scraping noises when braking just a pulsating and shimmying. I have a 2010 Nissan Xterra 4x4 and I’m hoping someone has insight on what I could be facing/dealing with this is definitely a first for me and it’s scary. Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,968 Posts
Hi I am dealing with what I originally thought was brake/rotor issues as I was experiencing issues when braking and the steering wheel would shake and brake pedal it would stop ok just felt rough doing so. I’m tight on cash at the moment so was driving minimal until I could get it looked at. Well I’m now panicked because the dash lights are coming on and off and the ABS stops engaging and they are going in and out that’s the best way I can explain it. There’s no grinding noise or scraping noises when braking just a pulsating and shimmying. I have a 2010 Nissan Xterra 4x4 and I’m hoping someone has insight on what I could be facing/dealing with this is definitely a first for me and it’s scary. Thanks!
Are you able to jack up the front end yourself or have friends/family that can assist with any of the work suggestions? I am guessing the issues are with the front brakes from what you say so the front tires need to come off so you can inspect the brake rotors and brake pads. TBC

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I'd try to get the ABS codes read if you don't have a reader that will do it. There are a number of things that could be wrong, but one common item that will cause all of the above is a bad or dirty ABS wheel sensor. A broken sensor cable or bad connection at the sensor/harness connector will also do this.

If one of the sensors malfunctions it prevents traction control etc from operating as well because all of those systems use the data from those sensors. A good scan tool like Bluedriver or OBDLINK MX+ should be able to read your ABS codes. They work for gen2, but not gen1 ABS codes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reading the codes is only 1/3 of the solution, and in my case no codes are stored, even with both slip and vdc lights constantly on, only when in 4 wheel drive do they sometimes go away, hoping maybe, abs sensor??? Or maybe bearing or alignment??? Maybe even ball joints ?? Please chime in, I'm really grasping for straws and praying I don't need to rewire any modules, thanks for any input, very much appreciated

1 - 9 of 9 Posts