Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
2011 Pro4X Auto 4L V6
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opened my door, went to shut it, it wouldn't catch. Stuck my finger in there to see if it was just cold from the weather, wiggled my finger...lol Got in and it shut. But when I got to where I was going it wouldn't open again. From the inside or outside. PLEASE Tell me this is fixable myself!!!!!

Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
As a general rule, if you lube a latch with white lithium grease, it tends to resist turning into a solid wax in colder temps. If the latch has not had much maintenance over its life, it would be good to remove the door panel and use a cleaner (brake parts cleaner comes to mind) to get any residues (old lube, corrosion, worn flakes, etc.) out of the mechanism, then after drying, lube it up really good.

With the door panel off, you can also inspect the rods that go to the inside and outside handles. They may be bent, or the things that fasten the ends may need some lovin'.

Registered
2011 Pro4X Auto 4L V6
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so most likely it's due to the cold, cause it just snowed here and we don't usually get that cold in WA. I've also noticed she's having trouble starting up, maybe it's the battery?

Registered
01 Xterra 4x4
I'm currently having an issue with the front passenger door not unlocking with the key fob, I have to manually reach over and move the lock button back and forth, then it will work. I also attribute this to cold weather. I'll be pulling the door panel when it warms up a bit and lubing all the moving parts. I expect this to solve the problem.

Registered
2011 Pro4X Auto 4L V6
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked on youtube and it seems pretty easy to remove the door panel. My sister, who knows cars, told me wd40 would be ok to try and lube it up. So I'll try that in a bit when I try to go out. lol I really don't want t have to crawl over to the passenger side again. It was less than graceful...lol

Registered
I'll be interested to see how you fair with getting the door panel off on a closed door. I'm sure it can be done, but it will be a bit more difficult with the seat and dash in the way.

Let us know how it goes. Once you get inside I wouldn't be surprised if it's just that one of the rods has come disconnected.

Registered
2011 Pro4X Auto 4L V6
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It opened for me yesterday, and I sprayed a bit of wd40 on it just to help. Haven't needed to go out again yet. lol

Registered
2011 Pro4X Auto 4L V6
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE- My friend,a master mechanic(retired), took my door apart and the connecting 'wire' had come loose. Thank the gods for him!

Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
Those rods have little plastic things on the end that lock them in place. It could have come loose or broken, allowing the rod to slip out. Nice to have a buddy to help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts