Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that an OEM brush guard or any brush guard made for a stock Xterra will not work on an Xterra with a body lift. Are there any options for a compatible brush guard for a 2" body lift Xterra or is custom fabbing the only option?

BTW, this is in regards to a 2002 X. Thanks!

·
Registered
444 Posts
You don't want the brush guard...if in a small accident, it folds over onto the hood...there are plenty of cases for it

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that'd be no bueno. Would go with a Shrock front bumper but the weight kind of bothers me. Im trying to keep her on a diet.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I agree with it wrecking the hood, but here's a thought. If you really want something, why not design one welded to the top of the bumper out a couple of inches from the hood. That way it would still be there and MAY not damage the hood. The stock ones apparently bend where they attach to the frame rails. The bumper shouldn't. May not be possible but just throwing the thought out there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a good idea, but it sounds like getting the front bumper/bumper cover on and off would be a pain unless I chopped it all up (which I wouldn't wanna do if I don't get an aftermarket front bumper).

·
Registered
787 Posts
The weight isn't too bad on Shrock bumpers and others like it. Might lower the front end 0.5-1" but then you can just crank the t-bars back up. If it still feels too heavy up front going over bumps and such get some heavy duty t-bars from 4x4parts.

I have a bumper from RLC Fab with the HD t-bars and it rides great. I plan to put a winch on it too (another 50+lbs) and it should handle that no problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How much does the Shroch weigh roughly?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's true but 100lbs seems like a lot of weight just for a bumper. :( I do want to get the rear bumper with the 5th wheel/tire mount for sure though!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Same problem here. I have one of those factory bush guards on my X that came with it and am upgrading to an ARB bumper really soon here. The heavy duty bumpers like Shrock, ARB , Hefty, RLC etc is definitely the way to go. They are each kind of in the same weight category. Going to install mine first then see what needs to be done. Stiffer springs maybe or jacking the torsion bars like Thompson said.
I know the ARB is about 140lbs and the Shrock is similar at about 125lbs. Both are a good choice IMO.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The RLC kind of interests me, he notes he can do custom work and the whole reason why I like the factory brush guard so much is because of the little cross bars in front of the headlights. Sounds pity, but thats really what I want to go with. I do like the Shrock design the best however. I wonder if they would be willing to tackle that bit of customizing?

Has anyone here bedliner sprayed their steel aftermarket bumper? How did it turn out? I'm considering doing this as well.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The RLC kind of interests me, he notes he can do custom work and the whole reason why I like the factory brush guard so much is because of the little cross bars in front of the headlights. Sounds pity, but thats really what I want to go with. I do like the Shrock design the best however. I wonder if they would be willing to tackle that bit of customizing?

Has anyone here bedliner sprayed their steel aftermarket bumper? How did it turn out? I'm considering doing this as well.
RLC is great, totally willing to do pretty much anything you want. Not sure how Shrock is with customizations.. feel like they would charge a bit more $$ just because they can.

Painted mine with Rustoelum spray-on bedliner and it turned out great. I'll probably do the same when I get rock sliders this summer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RLC is great, totally willing to do pretty much anything you want. Not sure how Shrock is with customizations.. feel like they would charge a bit more $$ just because they can.

Painted mine with Rustoelum spray-on bedliner and it turned out great. I'll probably do the same when I get rock sliders this summer.
I feel your right.

Do you have any pics of your spray? Would love to see how it turned out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts