Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

2000 Xterra SE v6 4x4
I noticed the other day that both of my factory fogs were out. I checked and replaced the blown fuse, new fuse blew as soon as I hit the switch. I'm sure I have a short somewhere, anyone have a wiring diagram for the fog lamp circuit? Or anyone had this problem/know of a common failure point for a short to occur? I work nights and haven't had any time to get in there with the meter and look around.

Thanks.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Hey guys,

2000 Xterra SE v6 4x4
I noticed the other day that both of my factory fogs were out. I checked and replaced the blown fuse, new fuse blew as soon as I hit the switch. I'm sure I have a short somewhere, anyone have a wiring diagram for the fog lamp circuit? Or anyone had this problem/know of a common failure point for a short to occur? I work nights and haven't had any time to get in there with the meter and look around.

Thanks.
Have you checked the bulbs?

The short can be the bulb and/or housing.

There's also some wiring that passes through the fender that can get frayed.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
x2 on what TJ said.

Also check to see if there is water in the housing or the bulb.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Just had this happen to me. The passenger side bulb would only come on when kicked, the driver side wouldn't.

Replaced the bulbs and discovered the wire into the harness on the driver side is eaten through and the passenger side isn't looking too hot either. I'm guessing all the road salt from driving back and forth cross Canada a few times last winter ate it up.

Courtesy Parts doesn't list the actual wiring harness, only the fog lights and mount. Either I missed it or need to find somewhere else to order new wires/harness and wire it in. Initially I thought about splicing the wire and seeing if I could open the harness, but I figure starting from scratch and taping it up for protection is best.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
In addition to the above, check in the bulb housings to make sure the wire off the H3 isn't shorting to ground. Another thing you can do to check it's not in the housing its self is (with the lights off) disconnect the fog light housing where the main harness plugs in, and use an ohm meter to measure the resistance between the two pins (one probe in the +12 switched side, the other probe in the ground side). With both lights unplugged you should be getting an O.L (open loop) reading or however your meter displays no continuity. If it does come up OL, then it's most likely in the bulb housings themselves.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, everybody. Finally off from work for a few days so I'm planning on checking out your suggestions tomorrow afternoon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts