Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So get this, I was replacing the rotors,brakes, and bearings on my 02 xterra 4x4. Popped off the fixed cam assembly after removing the cotter pin (part of the auto locking hub). The pieces came apart in my hands. I searched high and lower for it (junkyards,autozone, and even Nissan dealership). Apparently when this piece breaks Nissan forces you to put on a manual locking hub because Nissan no longer sells the part (fixed cam assembly) and Nissan no longer sells the auto locking hub (part no. 40260-8B400).

Manual locking hub is fine but at least give us a option.

if anyone has a recommendations on where to find this piece other than what I listed, lmk

BTW I was able to pop to the spring back on put the unit back in the hub, the plastic piece was the only thing that broken but the cotter pin holds everything together snug. For anyone would knows what im talking about, will I still be able to put the truck into 4 wheel drive?

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pics

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pics

Attachments

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I went with manual hubs after I broke 2 sets of those stupid things. Not nearly as inconvenient as I thought it would have been to have to manually lock/unlock them. Even if you wheel somewhat regularly, most of the total drive time you will be unlocked anyway...(assuming it is a daily driver and weekend trail rig)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I ordered a new Fixed Cam Assembly from the Nissan Dealership in my city and it cost me about $140. The original one I had was in rough shape since the metal corners were all flanged out. The guy at the dealership said Nissan has discontinued the Hub Assembly which is like the hub cover. Held on by 6 bolts.
My .02 is to replace the Spindle washer and snap ring if you do in fact find the fixed cam assembly. I might also add that while I was waiting for the part to come in, I re-greased and put back together my hub and Cam assembly and was able to drive on it without issue temporarily until I got the new one. Mine did go into 4wd easily even with the worn cam assembly, but adding copius amounts of bearing grease is a must. Now with the new part in mine, it goes into 4wd effortlessly.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I mentioned earlier, they no longer sell the hub assembly and they never did sell just the fixed cam assembly, there isn't even a part no. for just the fixed cam assembly.

Everything was re-grease when I took the rotor off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As I mentioned earlier, they no longer sell the hub assembly and they never did sell just the fixed cam assembly, there isn't even a part no. for just the fixed cam assembly.

Everything was re-grease when I took the rotor off.
Can u drive with out that piece in that hub

1 - 10 of 10 Posts