Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Xterra SE 4x4 V6 NA
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone.

Since my new lenses came in last Friday, including the Fisheye lens I wanted for creating single shot panoramas, I went back to Grand Canyon this past Tuesday to try out the Fisheye and the 50mm.

The fisheye was very impressive with its sharpness.
At an F-stop setting of F11 over 90% of the image was fully sharp.
Only the very edges of the frame lost some sharpness, which is normal for all super wide angle lenses, but a little cropping will take care of that.

Photos taken with a Fisheye, however, do require some manipulation to correct the extreme lens curvature inherent with them.
This is the nature of a lens that crams a 180 degree field of view onto a camera sensor designed for a 90 degree view.

However, I was able to correct this curvature and in the process create a wide panorama,

Here are 4 images showing before and after lens curvature correction.
As you can see the aspect ratio of the corrected image is wider.

In the past I had to take 3 or more photos with a narrower lens and stitch them together to make a panorama.
That process sometimes created distortions where the separate images overlapped, and were hard to remove.

Now with the Fisheye, and with some manipulation, I can now create the same panoramas with a single shot without the distortions created by stitching together multiple photos.

Any questions feel free to reply.

Attachments

·
Registered
Xterra SE 4x4 V6 NA
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice. The color and clarity are there for sure. Hiked to the bottom on the south side back in the 70's. Dang mule bumped me and my backpack off the trail for a wild slide down the slope. Mule rider never said a word....before or after!
I've never been on the mule rides. You have to go where the tour guide tells you to go. So I prefer to hike on foot so that I can go where I need to go.
I have hiked the major trails.
I hiked Bright Angel trail down to Plateau Point about 3 years ago. That was my longest hike at 14 miles round trip, which includes the walk back to my vehicle. Took me 13 hours since I was also stopping to take my photos periodically.
Hiked South Kaibab down to Skeleton Point.
Also hiked Hermits Trail down to Dripping Springs.
Also hiked some not so famous trails, such as the Tanner Trail that starts at Lipan Point, and the New Hance Trail that has no parking at the trail head. You have to park about several hundred feet down the road for that one.

I plan to revisit these trails when the winter cold returns. I find I can hike longer in the cold air.
When I hiked the Grandview Trail out to Horseshoe Mesa it was 29*F when I finally made it back to my truck around 9pm. Climbing up steep switchbacks will make your body generate a lot of heat. I was just wearing sweat pants and a sweat shirt at the time, yet I didn't feel the cold.

There are two parts of the south rim I have not been to yet but plan to visit when the weather cools off.
I plan to try for Comanche Point on the far east side of the park about 7 miles east of Desert View Watchtower, and Yuma Point which is about 6 miles west of Hermit's Rest.

Speaking of sliding down a slope, back about a year ago I hiked out to the Sink Ship. There is no trail leading to it. While out on the formation the ground gave way on a 45 degree slope and I slid 15 feet. Fortunately I had the foresight to wear heavy duty boots and leather work gloves. I dug my heels into the dirt and managed to stop sliding about 10 feet from the cliff edge. If I was wearing ordinary sneakers that I see a lot tourists wearing I might have slid 1000 feet off into canyon. The leather work gloves also helped me climb back up because I had to grab onto thorny bushes and sharp lava rock that would have torn up my hands otherwise.

I plan to go back to Grand Canyon on Monday and hike to Papago Point and Pinal Point. Both of these areas are rarely visited because there are no maintained trails to them.

I am currently processing photos from my trip last Tuesday. I will post my surplus photos when I'm finished developing them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts