Nissan XTerra Forum banner

First Xterra, First post, first Oil Change

Tags
oil change
9K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  CTyler7 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I just completed my first oil change (ever, on any vehicle) on my 2012 Xterra. It was up to 5300 km (3293 miles). I put in Mobil Super 1000 5w30 and a Nissan filter.
So, draining the oil was easy. Removing the filter was difficult. I didn't take the whole skid plate off, I just used the access door. I have small hands and good grip strength, so I figured that would be fine enough. Well, I managed to limit the amount of oil from taking the filter off to the drain pan for the most part, though it did leak around the undercarriage and I wiped down every drop of oil that I could find.

I took it for a rip after I was all done filling the oil back up. I put in 5.1 liters as per the manual and checked the dipstick and all was good.

After I got back from my 10 minute drive, the oil monitor was reading as it should. I looked for leaks, and there was some oil drops splattered in the undercarriage on the back end of the vehicle. I think I must have missed wiping some oil up, and when I was driving the wind must have flung it a bit. Does this sound probable?

Also, after I added a large jug (4.4L) of Mobil 1000 plus 0.7L of another one, I was able to empty all my dirty oil into the empty 4.4L jug. It probably measured out to about 4L. Is this normal, or was my oil low? Does the engine retain oil when doing an oil change? My vehicle was parked at a slight incline when I did the oil change, but no more then driving the front tires on a ramp would be.

Thanks for any advice and I look forward to being part of the X community!

Degrees

See less See more
#3 ·
On the splatter more than likely you may have missed some or some ended up in the skid and got blown about. Main two places to check for leaks is around the drain plug and around the filter itself so ensure these are as clean as possible when done doing the service. After finishing with the change reinstall and tighten the drain plug, install and tighten the filter, and add the correct amount of oil start the engine and let it idle and look for leaks at the drain plug and filter.

On the drain plug there is a copper crush washer that should be changed when you reinstall the plug as they are a one time use item. You can use them more than once, I have, but that are dirt cheap and a new one should be installed each time.

On the filter there is a gasket on the base of the filter, you need to make sure that the old gasket comes off with the filter! if the old one sticks in place and you double up the gasket it will leak at the filter. So always ensure the old gasket came off.

Depending on whether or not the truck is level you may not get all the old oil out. Always refill to the correct level on the dipstick.

#5 · (Edited)
Welcome to the club! I think RacelXXL covered pretty much everything and I agree with everything he said

To add- Since this is your first time here is a few tips for your second time if you did not already know.

-before installing the new oil filter use your finger and a little bit of new oil to rub some oil onto the gasket and lubricate it. It will help with removal later.

-If the filter is a filter that sits right-side up or is only a little slanted while mounted then before you install the filter- fill the filter up with oil and let it sit for a second. If you do this you will notice that it will probably absorb 75% of that oil or all of it. This will keep the motor lubricated for every second as the oil pump will not have to lubricate the filter first. Were talking milliseconds probably but every second counts. This procedure is used on Supercharged and Turbocharged vehicles- So there is some merit to it.

P.S you might ask this later down the road so here is my answer already- When Should I change my oil. IMHO I personally use castrol and change my oil every 5000 miles. When you should change your oil is based on your driving habits. The harder you drive the sooner you change it. Really with how I drive it my oil could make it to 7K or even 8K but theres a reason I have put 40K on it and still not 1 engine/engine accessory issue.

GL and happy savings.

#6 ·
Does the engine retain oil when doing an oil change?
Yes, the engine will always retain some oil. From what I have read, it can be as high as 20% undrainable.

The oil left behind that splattered underneath your vehicle is likely from the filter change. There is no scupper drain for the filter, so some will undoubtedly make its way into the nooks and crannies of the frame. No matter how many rags I put under there and how well I wipe it down, I always seem to miss a little oil.

As far as the crush washer on the drain plug is concerned: The FSM does indeed tell you to replace it at every change (although some solid style copper washers can be annealed and re-used). I haven't changed it yet, and I have no leaks. I never changed it on my previous vehicle and got close to 300k miles on it without the plug leaking. The trick is to avoid overtorquing it and stripping out the threads.

#7 ·
Thanks guys. I did rub some oil on the gasket of the new oil filter before I installed it, and I also used a torque wrench to put the drain plug back on (with a new crush washer). The oil filter is mounted on a 90 degree angle (sideways), and I did not put any oil in the new filter before I installed it. Its been a week now, no leaks or funny things going on, so I think I'm all good!

#9 ·
Kelly do you have a source for cheap crush washers? It's been a while since I bought my last batch but I think I paid over $1 each from the dealer.

On a side note, I always put a new one on. Between oil changes on my older motor and my girlfriend's brand new Subaru, I think it's worth doing it by the book.

#11 ·
I have a 1981 Z-28 and never changed the drain plug or used a crush washer. Not a drop comes from the drain plug...
My X is a 2000. Same thing. No oil leaks. Don't sweat the crush washers. They are not an emergency.
I've yet to replace my washer and have had no issues, but maybe I'll slap a new one on next time.

A drain plug should last a LONG time... unless you let somebody else change your oil and they overtighten the thing :(.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.