Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Boys and Girls

I need your help. My 2001 Xterra has very suddenly developed a low front end. I measured the door seam at the back of the back door and the front of the front door, and the difference in height is 2 inches. Here are profile pics of my vehicle from a year ago and now. Also, I'm including a pic of the left (driver's) side suspension of mine and a pic from another X I saw parked on the street. Mine is the one that shows signs of a major oil leak (hence the pic on a tow truck). My stabilizer bar, torsion bar, and upper link assembly are tilted to make the front end sit lower in relation to the wheel than it should.

In addition to the steep front-to-back rake, the ride is very bouncy, and I hear rattles from suspension components when I drive. As far as I can tell, the low front end, the bounciness, and the rattle all came on suddenly at about the same time.

What do you make of this?

I'll be grateful for any suggestions you may have.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Broken lower control arm, broken torsion bar, or stripped/broken torsion bar anchor or adjuster.
Thanks very much! The front end is uneven left-to-right. Lower on the driver’s side by almost an inch. Right side is still an inch or more low. Does that narrow down the possibilities?

·
Registered
93 Posts
What does the drivers side torsion bar look like? I would guess you need new torsion bars or have a broken anchor or adjster.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read Kelly’s reply and then read-up about torsion bars and realized I wasn’t looking in the right place. I found this (see photo). It’s the back-end of the torsion bar. Is that likely the culprit? Or is it likely this plus other connectors?
I think I know what happened. About 18 mos ago Miami was doing construction on I-395 headed to Miami Beach and decided to begin the project entirely without lighting. There is a very narrow median that separates lanes (that should have been removed with the start of construction. I could not see it, and I drove over it. How I maintained control of the vehicle I don’t know. I should have filed a claim immediately with FL DOT, but I was preoccupied at the time. The damage only manifest itself a couple of weeks ago. Thanks again Kelly for the info.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I cant see the photo you tried to post. but the torsion bars run from the lower control arm back. The bar could break or bend, or the ends could strip out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cant see the photo you tried to post. but the torsion bars run from the lower control arm back. The bar could break or bend, or the ends could strip out.
Thanks Ben. I thought I had posted the photo. I just posted it now. It shows the malformation at the rear anchor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why is there no CV/axle on the drivers side?
I think you are seeing the pic I included as a comparison. Mine is a 4X4. I'm guess that one is the 2X4 version. But I have to admit my knowledge of the mechanics is limited.

·
Registered
494 Posts
View attachment 76554 View attachment 76555

Thanks very much! The front end is uneven left-to-right. Lower on the driver’s side by almost an inch. Right side is still an inch or more low. Does that narrow down the possibilities?
Sure looks like a broken part right there on the lower control arm to the right of the sway bar connection. Seeing the rusty broken stub off to the right.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
What you're seeing as a rusty, broken stub is actually the steering bump stop on the hub assembly. Basically it's a bolt that bumps into the control arm to prevent the steering from going too far. It had a plastic cap from the factory, but those wear through within the first 100k miles leaving the exposed bolt. That's why if you have the steering cranked and go over a smallish bump like a speed bump your front end will make a creaking noise. I just put a dab of grease on it from time to time to quiet it down some.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What you're seeing as a rusty, broken stub is actually the steering bump stop on the hub assembly. Basically it's a bolt that bumps into the control arm to prevent the steering from going too far. It had a plastic cap from the factory, but those wear through within the first 100k miles leaving the exposed bolt. That's why if you have the steering cranked and go over a smallish bump like a speed bump your front end will make a creaking noise. I just put a dab of grease on it from time to time to quiet it down some.
Thanks Satito. And thanks all. When I compared the left front suspension with a similar model I saw parked on the street (first gen but not 4X4 - it's the comparison photo that shows how my stabilizer bar, control arms, etc. are out of position), I noticed the same piece and figured that was responsible for the loud creaking sound I hear when I am turning the vehicle in close quarters. Good to know it's the bump stop, and the remedy is a dab of grease. I hope I get to take advantage of that knowledge. My vehicle is starting to devour a large amount of cash, and if this is an expensive fix, I'm in big trouble. I am convinced this kind of car trouble is what leads people to drug dealing and prostitution. Why did I not take shop in high school!

It is becoming clear the problem is with the left side torsion bar. I'm praying no other components need replacement. My vehicle goes to its home away from home (my mechanic) on Wednesday. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yeah. A lot of us on here do our own wrenching so at times we lose track of just how much money it can cost to fix or maintain a vehicle for the rest of the population. I've also got a 2000 Frontier and if I couldn't do the work myself it would have been retired a number of years ago. For me it comes down to a couple of simple questions.

1) Am I spending more on repairs than I would on payments for a newer vehicle
2) Am I losing income due to downtime that amounts to similar cost of payments for a newer vehicle when combined with the repairs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Given that the vehicle cost $0 in unscheduled maintenance in its first 18 years, I’ve given it a reprieve over the past 2. But I’m about to have to draw a line.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello Boys and Girls

I need your help. My 2001 Xterra has very suddenly developed a low front end. I measured the door seam at the back of the back door and the front of the front door, and the difference in height is 2 inches. Here are profile pics of my vehicle from a year ago and now. Also, I'm including a pic of the left (driver's) side suspension of mine and a pic from another X I saw parked on the street. Mine is the one that shows signs of a major oil leak (hence the pic on a tow truck). My stabilizer bar, torsion bar, and upper link assembly are tilted to make the front end sit lower in relation to the wheel than it should.

In addition to the steep front-to-back rake, the ride is very bouncy, and I hear rattles from suspension components when I drive. As far as I can tell, the low front end, the bounciness, and the rattle all came on suddenly at about the same time.

What do you make of this?

I'll be grateful for any suggestions you may have.
Thanks all for the valuable insights. I took my vehicle into my shop and they reindexed the torsion bars and all seems to be going well. I'll keep a close watch over it to make sure the work "took." My biggest expense was for the alignment, so I'm hoping things will remain quiet. Thanks again for the help!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts