Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've owned a stock '03 4WD auto Xterra for about a month now. On my first highway trip, I was only getting about 11 mpg (was also driving about 70mph)

I've had the following work done so far:
  • New front brakes/rotors, distributor cap, wiring & spark plugs
  • New tires (Hankook Dynapro ATM) - noticed a 1-2 mpg increase
  • Two bottles of fuel injector cleaner (don't remember brands)
  • Try to drive with a light foot - I rarely exceed 65mph on the highway, and generally don't exceed 2500rpm while accelerating/cruising. (when I drive 70mph my mileage drops drastically.)

I'm now getting 16.4-16.7 mpg highway and around 14.5 mpg mixed driving, with the best so far being about ~284 miles (empty tank light came on) on 17 gallons of 87. Is this the best I can expect, or would any additional tricks help? I've done some searching on the forums and I'm curious about the following options:

• MAF sensor cleaning - I haven't taken a good look at it yet
  • K&N drop-filter vs. CAI - may just get a drop in
  • New exhaust system: not a priority
  • Seafoam - I'm willing to give this a shot
  • New shocks to improve ride - looking at NISMO by Bilstein, they look like the most value-added option and I don't plan on a suspension lift

Is there anything I'm missing? I know the X isn't the most efficient vehicle out there, I'm just looking to squeeze 2-3 more mpg out of it.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Those are pretty good numbers for a 13 year old xterra I think! I have an 04 and I get around the same numbers following the same driving habits.

Cleaning the MAF, removing the intake resonators, and adding a K&N drop in can actually help with mileage and throttle response a little. A new exhaust system is also a good way to squeeze out some extra mileage; even a simple cat-back can help for those on a budget like myself.

Personally haven't tried Seafoam but I've heard great things and will probably test it out this summer.

Shocks...not technically sure how, but I'm sure a smoother ride does help some! Bilstein is a great choice. I run their 5100s in the rear.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Seafoam works wonders on older engines if done right...you can put it in your tank too...but I would also look into changing fluids over to synthetics in the drivetrain...might squeeze a little out of that, and then couple your other improvements, it'll only be better

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.