Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a mechanic tell me my caliper was locked up (and quote me $960 to fix it along with a rear cylinder). I replaced the rear cylinders and bled them. All seemed fine. Moved to passenger caliper that I had replaced and it’s getting no fluid. Replaced the hose. Nothing. Blew out line. Now I can get a drip. Get no ABS codes from OBD2 scanner. I can feel some pressure build im the peddle which I couldn’t when the rear brakes were leaking

I have the next best thing to no brakes. Could it be in the rest of the line? I would think if there was air in ABS I should get a code. Would the vacuum boost do this?The engine struggles when I pump the brakes up.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I had a mechanic tell me my caliper was locked up (and quote me $960 to fix it along with a rear cylinder). I replaced the rear cylinders and bled them. All seemed fine. Moved to passenger caliper that I had replaced and it’s getting no fluid. Replaced the hose. Nothing. Blew out line. Now I can get a drip. Get no ABS codes from OBD2 scanner. I can feel some pressure build im the peddle which I couldn’t when the rear brakes were leaking

I have the next best thing to no brakes. Could it be in the rest of the line? I would think if there was air in ABS I should get a code. Would the vacuum boost do this?The engine struggles when I pump the brakes up.
You've got a strange one there. What year is your xterra? What line did you blow out?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
It’s an 03. It’s the front passenger line above the rubber hose.
So you blew out that line running from the main master cylinder to the right front wheel with compressed air and you connected it back up and get almost no fluid out when you pump it up? Is that with the end rubber wheel hose disconnected? Did you check that you are getting good fluid flow out of the master cylinder connection point?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it’s the line from the ABS module to the right front caliper. I didn’t check the flow from the master cylinder to the ABS. I was thinking since there was good flow when I bled the rear brakes that it was limited to the front

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m now wondering if I didn’t over-complicate this and just underestimate how slow my brake vacuum system is. I let it run about 2 hours and then got a second person to help bleed. I didn’t get it firmed up but I’m at least getting fluid flowing to all 4 bleeder valves

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,469 Posts
If your vacuum booster is that slow, there's something wrong somewhere.

Your brakes should always work all 4 corners at all times whenever you press the brake pedal, no matter if there's vacuum or not.

It could be that the person pressing the pedal before they were boosted felt the hard pedal from a lack of vacuum boost and didn't squash the pedal to the floor with more vigor. (Love that word right there?) Once the boost came on, pumping them got much easier. If that's all it was, then you're probably okay.

One thing to consider if you ever need to bleed brakes again: Get a hand-operated vacuum pump/bleeder kit. I got mine from Harbor Freight and it's a metal body pump! I was able to do all 4 wheels on my car by myself with that and a large bottle of brake fluid. One of these days I'll flush the entire brake system in my Xterra.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use an air compressor model bleeder from harbor freight. And typically (like the rear brakes) I’m getting draw right away and can bleed the all 4 in 15-20 minutes. I admittedly don’t usually have the entire line drained before I started.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts