Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Finally done dipping!

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  D Grade 
#1 ·
Finally finished plasti-dipping the rig. This was about a 3-4 month process due to just finding time to pull stuff off, prep, and spraying. Started at the front and finally finished the back last week. Now the front bumper, headlight covers, grill, side steps, side moldings, wheel trim, and rear bumper are all dipped. Still need to do the head rack. Will post some more pics soon.

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks good. Was more so fixated on that Rim and Tire combo tho :D

#4 ·
nicely done. Did you use plastidip? if so why not a more permanent solution?
Thanks! Yeah, it's plasti-dip, I've used it a lot in my go-fast car days, so that's a reason why I retorted back to it. I also like the texture and appearance the best, I'm a fan of clean flat finishes with no extra "pizzaz" when it comes to trim. I actually tried using a couple of black paints on the front before dipping, one began chipping and bubbling within a month and both ended up just not look good at all, IMO.

Looks good. Was more so fixated on that Rim and Tire combo tho :D
For good or for bad? Same combo as yours? :D

#5 ·
Thanks! Yeah, it's plasti-dip, I've used it a lot in my go-fast car days, so that's a reason why I retorted back to it. I also like the texture and appearance the best, I'm a fan of clean flat finishes with no extra "pizzaz" when it comes to trim. I actually tried using a couple of black paints on the front before dipping, one began chipping and bubbling within a month and both ended up just not look good at all, IMO.

For good or for bad? Same combo as yours? :D
I got Duratracs, but I really like the combo you have. Looks fresh man!

#6 ·
I got Duratracs, but I really like the combo you have. Looks fresh man!
Thank a lot, I like the simple look. Im hoping to find these identical wheels in aluminum someday when Im looking for something to upgrade later.

#7 ·
Thank a lot, I like the simple look. Im hoping to find these identical wheels in aluminum someday when Im looking for something to upgrade later.
Sometimes the simple look is the best look. Plus can never go wrong with BFG ATs.

#8 ·
Sometimes the simple look is the best look. Plus can never go wrong with BFG ATs.
Couldn't agree more bud. We've been down some fairly nasty trails in this rig all summer last year (sometimes right after monsoons) and have only had to throw it in 4x4 twice.

#10 ·
Couldn't agree more bud. We've been down some fairly nasty trails in this rig all summer last year (sometimes right after monsoons) and have only had to throw it in 4x4 twice.
Thats awesome man. How do you find them in the Snow? If you get snow where you live that is.

nice lol looks good I dipped the whole x lol was getting alot of paint chips so said screw it and dipped it I think im going to try a new color every year next year im going camo tan
Looking good bro. Did you Dip the back corner plastics or just restore them? If so did you have to sand or prime them? Curious as to how well Plastidip adheres to the plastics on the First Gens.

#11 ·
thanks no snow I live in California does good on the trail went through tumble weeds and it held up . the only trouble are is if you don't have rock sliders from stepping on the frame to get in causes chips. but other than that I like it. and all the plastic trimming I just used krylon plastic paint

#13 ·
nice lol looks good I dipped the whole x lol was getting alot of paint chips so said screw it and dipped it I think im going to try a new color every year next year im going camo tan
That looks great! We almost have matching X's minus color.

Thats awesome man. How do you find them in the Snow? If you get snow where you live that is.

Looking good bro. Did you Dip the back corner plastics or just restore them? If so did you have to sand or prime them? Curious as to how well Plastidip adheres to the plastics on the First Gens.
No snow in central AZ so I couldn't tell ya, but I'd say monsoon soaked desert mud is a close match in crappyness. :D

The Plasti-Dip actually adheres really well on the X plastics. I gave the parts a good cleaning with 92% Isopropyl Alcohol and the dip adhered right to it without issue.

#14 ·
That looks great! We almost have matching X's minus color.

No snow in central AZ so I couldn't tell ya, but I'd say monsoon soaked desert mud is a close match in crappyness. :D

The Plasti-Dip actually adheres really well on the X plastics. I gave the parts a good cleaning with 92% Isopropyl Alcohol and the dip adhered right to it without issue.
Thanks for the info. I will probably do this to my plastics!

#15 ·
If you like the raw flat black look, I'd say go for it. You wont be disappointed. :D

#17 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.