Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Xterra SE 4x4 V6 NA
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone.
To continue with my photos for my hike from Moran Point at Grand Canyon, after I returned to my Xterra after hiking to Zuni Point I rested for a while and then hiked west of Moran Point.

It was a short hike, only about a mile roundtrip.
Because the sun was setting I have two final photos from this trip.

The first photo is shooting directly into the setting sun.
These types of photos are always hard.
The camera has to be set correctly or you get a blacked out foreground.
I had the exposure metering set for highlight weighted to minimize the overexposure created by aiming the camera at the sun.
The image is a little saturated due to there being a haze in the air that I had to remove in order to expose the details of the shaded parts of the image.
I edit my photos using a program called Affinity Photo.
It has a tool called “Remove Haze”.
It is very effective at removing haze created by smog or dust in the air.
But sometimes there is a side effect of more color saturation.
Because reducing the color would make the overall image more dull I decided to leave it as it was.

The 2nd photo is facing east toward Moran Point.
Because the sun was shining on the cliff wall below the overlook processing this one was easier.

Because I am going to Sedona tomorrow for an event at the art gallery I sell some of my artwork at I probably won’t return to Grand Canyon until later next week.

So until then, happy travels.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,308 Posts
Good afternoon everyone.
To continue with my photos for my hike from Moran Point at Grand Canyon, after I returned to my Xterra after hiking to Zuni Point I rested for a while and then hiked west of Moran Point.

It was a short hike, only about a mile roundtrip.
Because the sun was setting I have two final photos from this trip.

The first photo is shooting directly into the setting sun.
These types of photos are always hard.
The camera has to be set correctly or you get a blacked out foreground.
I had the exposure metering set for highlight weighted to minimize the overexposure created by aiming the camera at the sun.
The image is a little saturated due to there being a haze in the air that I had to remove in order to expose the details of the shaded parts of the image.
I edit my photos using a program called Affinity Photo.
It has a tool called “Remove Haze”.
It is very effective at removing haze created by smog or dust in the air.
But sometimes there is a side effect of more color saturation.
Because reducing the color would make the overall image more dull I decided to leave it as it was.

The 2nd photo is facing east toward Moran Point.
Because the sun was shining on the cliff wall below the overlook processing this one was easier.

Because I am going to Sedona tomorrow for an event at the art gallery I sell some of my artwork at I probably won’t return to Grand Canyon until later next week.

So until then, happy travels.
7195 is my favorite. I think this one would sell. The clarity and coloration are excellent. Well done!

·
Registered
Xterra SE 4x4 V6 NA
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
7195 is my favorite. I think this one would sell. The clarity and coloration are excellent. Well done!
Thanks, but the photos I share here are surplus photos that I don't need for my work.
All of my best photos are actually up for sale on other sites.

I posted a separate thread about where to sell photos and it has links to the photography sites I sell my photos at.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,308 Posts
Thanks, but the photos I share here are surplus photos that I don't need for my work.
All of my best photos are actually up for sale on other sites.

I posted a separate thread about where to sell photos and it has links to the photography sites I sell my photos at.
Yes, thank you, I saw that detailed post. Well you have shared a very nice photo so I am assured the ones you are selling are top shelf.

·
Registered
Xterra SE 4x4 V6 NA
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, thank you, I saw that detailed post. Well you have shared a very nice photo so I am assured the ones you are selling are top shelf.
I do have some more from a trip I made to Grand Canyon this past Monday.
I am still processing the ones I will be putting up for sale but the ones that I will be sharing will be posted here soon.
Most of the time, I take more photos than I need for my work, which is why I like to share the surplus.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,308 Posts
I do have some more from a trip I made to Grand Canyon this past Monday.
I am still processing the ones I will be putting up for sale but the ones that I will be sharing will be posted here soon.
Most of the time, I take more photos than I need for my work, which is why I like to share the surplus.
Thinking about you selling photos, I have to wonder where Microsoft is acquiring the photos they rotate through the screen saver that they put up to background their login standby for windows 10? The photo is constantly changing. Does Microsoft buy any of your photos that you know of? Your canyon photos would certainly fit the occasion.

·
Registered
Xterra SE 4x4 V6 NA
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thinking about you selling photos, I have to wonder where Microsoft is acquiring the photos they rotate through the screen saver that they put up to background their login standby for windows 10? The photo is constantly changing. Does Microsoft buy any of your photos that you know of? Your canyon photos would certainly fit the occasion.
I use a Mac, so I don't know about Microsoft.
However, I would not be surprised if they bought some of mine along with others from other photographers. Most companies like Microsoft will buy stock photos rather than try to do the photography themselves.
They would have to buy a license to use the photo for a specific purpose.
If you went to one of my portfolios and clicked on an image it would list the different licenses available depending upon what the intended use is.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,308 Posts
I use a Mac, so I don't know about Microsoft.
However, I would not be surprised if they bought some of mine along with others from other photographers. Most companies like Microsoft will buy stock photos rather than try to do the photography themselves.
They would have to buy a license to use the photo for a specific purpose.
If you went to one of my portfolios and clicked on an image it would list the different licenses available depending upon what the intended use is.
Well, they post photos from all over the world. A lot of the material is very average in quality.

·
Registered
Xterra SE 4x4 V6 NA
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FYI...just checked the image file path on Windows 10 and it sources to "Getty Images Plus"
1,656 Istock Images Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images
Some of the agencies I deal with do market some of my images through Getty.
But the only way I will know if Microsoft is using some of my images is if you post it here and then I can compare to my collection.

Another thing to remember is that sometimes the buyer of an image might reduce the image size for whatever they are planning to use it for.
Reducing the image size can cause a loss of detail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts