Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I own a 2003 xterra, just bought it as my first ever car. I did nothing except remove the little "4x4 ------------" white decal that ran down both sides of the car, remove the mudflaps, and give her a good wash.
With that in mind, I'm looking to paint the bumpers and plastics all black. I did some reading, still a little bit confused as to how the process should go. Some people sanded, others didn't. Some used valspar/krylon/duplicolor. I'm choosing to use krylon fusion satin black
Here is my "in order" list

- take off all plastics
- wash with dawn soap
- dry
- rub it down with acetone
- sand it with extremely fine grit sandpaper
- wash it again
- paint with krylon fusion

Is that it? Would I have to do anything, apply any adhesion promoters, apply a coating over the satin black, anything else after that? Still a little bit confused and would really appreciate answers. School is letting out for winter break this week so I would like to finally tackle this.
Also! quick question about stock suspension and wheel sizes.
I don't quite understand wheel sizes if its like 285/17 r65 etc. *excuse my example couldn't think of anything else*. With a stock suspension what wheel size could I fit in without rubbing or having to worry about a rough ride? I would not like to lift my car but also would like to have a/t tires. Would a 31 fit fine without any cutting or trimming to the fenders? Or would that be way too big.

Thank you all! happy modding ~
- Joe

·
Registered
621 Posts
I used rustoleum satin black it has a textured finish. Though i didnt take anything off i just taped it up with painting tape. Also did my rims with it too looks pretty good imo ive gotten a few compliments on them when i wash them up. Though you should maybe get a clear coat finish over the paint its no big deal if you dont but everything will stick! If you go mudding they get pretty darn nasty and its a pain in the arse to get all the stuff off that paint cause it sticks.

The 2nd pic is after maybe 8 months with that on. it hasnt chipped pealed or anything just gets to looking dirty very fast.

Now you didnt specify what year. 1st gen 00-04 can fit 32s without a lift. 05-current can fit 33s with a melt mod.

Attachments

·
Registered
621 Posts
Also the tape thats in the picture was not nearly enough! Though i worked at a detail shop at the time and just took all the over spray off on my break. I recommend taping news paper on the whole fender to stop the over spray. It was no big deal for me cause i had a weird pad that i cannot find anywhere to buy but my work had it and it took off any overspray and made the pain feel brand new with no roughness. With you not having one of those id take the extra time taping it off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks mint, would have never guessed that it was not OEM if I didn't know any better. Also! sorry I forgot to mention the year, it is an 03 4x4 XE. I was also thinking of getting bf goodrich a/t 31x10.5x15 without a lift. Hoping these would fit, a lot of people here run them and they are almost loved by everyone who has them.

Back to topic, I was also thinking of newspaper/ masking tape instead of disassembling the plastics bumper. What I'm scared of is that I will not get even coverage in places that are rather hard to get at, crevices, cracks, etc. If I clear coat it, would that give it a glossy look? I'm in love with the satin look and would like to avoid a gloss look.

·
Registered
808 Posts
No maybe it will soften them. May strip paint on metal too. It's not as strong as lacquer thinner or brake fluid but it's strong

·
Registered
621 Posts
yeah clear coat will give it a glossy look but like i said it will just be a pain in the arse to wash if you dont. Probably look better if you dont too so theres the trade off. 31s will fit a stock 00-04 xterra thats what i run but i got a little bit of lift. But in the cracks etc you just gotta make sure your tape isnt blocking them. Should be very easy. I did all of mine the little things on the wheel wells back bumper etc etc. Just not the roof rack.

·
Registered
621 Posts
And i would use laquer thinner to clean the areas of over spray off. It will not take your paint off unless you got like 0 clear coat left lol. I was a detailer and its what we used to get old dealer ship stickers off and any scuff marks from another door hitting it and rubbing paint off etc etc. Its great stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts