Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive decided im buying an xterra, but up in the air on which one i should get. I prefer a manual so ill likely get that rather then auto. Ive been reading the forums and have read about the problems with 2nd gen smod with the 05-07s. Do those problems apply to the manual transmissions as well or is it just autos?

Ive been checking out some 10 and 11s in the pro4x and off road styles, and wondering how much better those are then an 07 which are quite a bit more in my price range, but I'm willing to shell out for a newer one if its worth it. Ive also been checking out the 1st gen xterras and have found some ones that look like theyre in pretty good shape with about 200-250k on them (~150 miles). Found a few supercharged ones as well.

Ive been scouring these forums a bunch lately as well as the internet trying to find the answers but still dont feel like ive found out enough yet. Any input is appreciated as I'm hoping to be in an xterra by the end of this week.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I don't know much about the second gen but i do have the first gen. The first gen is highly underpowered but is more economical in parts and is said to be a little easier to work on. However, i see you want a stickshift Xterra in which case i have one too and i can assure you that the first gen stickshifts are extremely clunky. They are not that much fun. first gen Xterras also have horrible mpg (average 16 mpg). the second gens are more refined and get about 20 MPG. they also carry much more power. SMOD does not exist on the stickshift xterras so don't worry about that. A second gen xterra has a syncro for the first gear while the first gens don't. if you are tight on money go with the first gen but make sure the timing belt is done at or that motor will be toast. if you are willing to spend good money and want something much more refined (especially in terms of stickshift) go with the second gen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Ive likely narrowed it down to a few different xterras. Ive found an 06 and 07 x both with around 150km and the 06 is a lot cheaper, so i may drive a couple hours to check them out in a day or two. Theyre both manuals so i dont have to worry about the smod issue, is there any other major concerns with the early 2nd gen x's?

Then theres the more expensive 11 pro4x and similarly priced 10 off road with both around 100km on them. I'm not sure how much ill really be using it off-road at this point to make it worth it for those. And i also liek the idea of a smaller investment with the 06 which i should be able to get when all is said and done for about 7k$ canadian. While the rest id be looking at probably 12k to 18k. Any other input from knowledgeable x owners would be greatly appreciated as i make this decision.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If I could do it again I'd go with an 02 with a Super Charger. The 2nd gen is nice because you can fit bigger tires without a lift and some of the models come with a locker. First gen was more in my budget.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I test drove a 2003 super charged x today, manual, but the engine was rough and sounded rough and clunky while idling and felt sluggish overall. No comparison to the 2007 auto tranny x i drove already, which was in great shape, but still concerned about the smod. I plan on making the trip this week a couple hours away to calgary Alberta to test out a wider selection and possibly make a purchase. 2011 manual pro 4x is the one im really looking forward to trying.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts