Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
03 3.3 6Cyl 4WD Yeller
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed out plug wires for the first time... I've only had my X for a few months I'm in love with the thing But dude SCREW that number 6 plug I had two lights and a camera shoved up against the firewall looking like I was doing some kind of surgery.. I feel for whoever is going through the same thing My advice though is good lighting and a good sized hand mirror will go a loooong way

·
Registered
2002 Xterra 4wd 5spd SE S/C
23 Posts
When I did my plugs/wires, what helped me was quite the opposite. I started with my phone camera and stripped the plug hole. I wound up reverse thread-chasing strictly by feel and by some miracle, and a lot of dielectric grease, I was able to get it all bolted up.

Everyone and anyone on this forum that I've seen talking about the #6 plug says that it's a rite of passage. After doing it myself and having that lingering dread that I would have to replace the head or do a helicoil, I understand why. I shelled out the extra dough on OEM NGK laser iridiums I could find just so I wouldn't have to remove another spark plug out of that thing.

·
Registered
2003 natural aspirated 3.3
139 Posts
It does suck..

·
Registered
2002 Xterra SE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
15 Posts
Yeah, not very fun. I’m over 6’2” and ended up standing on a bunch of bricks I had stacked, as well as laying across the engine bay to get to it. Ultimately I ended up removing the hood to get it done lol.

·
Registered
2003 natural aspirated 3.3
139 Posts
How long does it take you to do them?, Blackberry

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,831 Posts
First time I changed number 6 on my truck it took me less than 2 minutes to do. Of course the cylinder head was sitting on a bench when I did it 🤪

The dreaded number 6 plug, not so tough now are you? 😉

Forum member Drake changing number 6 on another members truck at a mod day hosted at Casa de Racer. Takes him 5 minutes to change its like his superpower. 😮

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just changed out plug wires for the first time... I've only had my X for a few months I'm in love with the thing But dude SCREW that number 6 plug I had two lights and a camera shoved up against the firewall looking like I was doing some kind of surgery.. I feel for whoever is going through the same thing My advice though is good lighting and a good sized hand mirror will go a loooong way
#6 can go straight to hell!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts