Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in the Expedition One bumper, has anyone installed one of these on a 2nd Gen Xterra? The site indicates that the bumper is designed for the 2009-2015 (3rd Gen) Nissan Xterra Trail Series Front Bumper | By Expedition One (expeditiononestore.com) with a caveat (*older models may fit with additional grill trimming and/or grill swap).
Curious how accurate this statement is, if anyone has experience with this bumper install / setup on a 2nd gen? Of the models I've found, this one has EVERYTHING I want and a terrific design that compliments the Xterra perfectly IMHO.
Love to have some feedback and recommendations.
FYI - a friend of mine has bought one for his 3rd gen, but has decided not to install it so he's willing to sell to me. That's PARTly what has me excited to know what's up.
Thanks,

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,176 Posts
Gen 1 ran from 2000 to 2004.

During that period, there was a change in the engine power offerings, so a new hood came along, and with it some new headlights and modified fenders. This became known as the Gen 1.5.

Gen 2 ran from 2005 to 2015.

Gen 3 is available only in the Middle East, has a hyphen in its name (X-Terra, derived from the Terra), and looks nothing like the originals. According to what I can find, its genealogy comes from the Navara.

Source 1: 2021 Nissan X-Terra Brings Back A Familiar Name For New-Ish 3-Row SUV
Source 2: 2021 NISSAN X-TERRA | All-New Family SUV 4x4 | NISSAN Middle East

If your screen name means what I think it means, you have a 2nd Gen. That bumper in that link is shown mounted to a 2nd Gen. The ad incorrectly identifies it as a 3rd Gen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply... sounds like there is a bit of a misnomer to what is referrred to as 3rd Gen by expedition one and here in the states as you identify. The difference in the style of the front end / bumper / fascia / grill design is what they refer to as "3rd Gen" 2009-2015. The subtle difference in styling from the "2nd Gen" 05-08 appears to mostly be in the grill / front fascia design and little else.
I was able to find someone in a different forum that had installed this bumper on a 2007 (what the company would call a "2nd gen". On that truck, the expedition one install will "fit" with some trimming of the grill and though it's designed for the newer style fascia, the differences are minute enough with the exception of the grill trimming that it should work quite well.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,176 Posts
Here on CX, the biggest tell that I've come across to distinguish Gen 1 and Gen 2 is the engine choices: VG33E/VG33ER in Gen 1 and 1.5, and VQ40 in Gen 2. Only the 2002-2004 offered the "R" version with supercharger.

VG uses a timing belt, VQ uses a timing chain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here on CX, the biggest tell that I've come across to distinguish Gen 1 and Gen 2 is the engine choices: VG33E/VG33ER in Gen 1 and 1.5, and VQ40 in Gen 2. Only the 2002-2004 offered the "R" version with supercharger.

VG uses a timing belt, VQ uses a timing chain.
Thank you... there are some other changes as well... suspension on Gen 1 used torsion bars, gen 2 has the coilover springs. The front fascia change from 2008 to 2009 is the "Gen 3" version that Expedition One refers to as "Gen 3" (which is actually a Gen 2 Xterra with the new grill design ... only change). Looks like the install will go just fine so I expect to move forward with it and I'll let the forum know any issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts