Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting tired of replacing exhaust manifolds on my X just to have them crack within a year or two. It is obviously a design flaw that has never been properly corrected with an adequately re-engineered manifold part.

Can someone give me some information about exhaust headers? I can see that they replace the exhaust manifold and upper cats, and this requires O2 sensor eliminators to trick the ECM into not throwing 02 sensor codes.

Is it possible to install exhaust headers like the manifolds, i.e. without having to lift the engine? The manifolds are a DIY type job if you are careful with the studs and patient. The headers are larger and one piece still, which would seem to me to make it difficult to get in place.

With the headers, has anyone outside of California had any real problem passing an inspection? Some states get kinda pissy if you modify the exhaust, and with the eliminators, you can trick the system to a degree into not throwing codes, but it is possible that the secondary O2 sensors might show out of spec exhaust data when the tester is plugged into the OBD port.

I can't find a lot of information from people that have actually done headers, but will keep looking.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
If you have any kind of emissions test the headers wont pass .There is one company making a redesign manifold .

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll look for the redesigned manifold. Any tips on how to distinguish the redesigned manifold from the OEM replacement designs?

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
If they sniff the pipe, or physically inspect then they won't fly. Unless you totally redo the exhaust and move all 4 cats downstream, or get high performance cats that work well enough with just one per side.

In areas where they just plug into the OBDII and check for the MIL, then the CELs work just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts