Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
02 SE/SC
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's too cold to climb under the truck to look, but why would I get getting exhaust out the left rear wheel well (and a bit from under the car) and none from the tail pipe?

Broken on the back side of the muffler?

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
489 Posts
My 2001 had a rusted rear bumper when I bought it. It was also fairly loud on the freeway. The tailpipe was no longer attached to the muffler and it just dangled as I drove. The end of the muffler was completely rusted out, so a month ago I got a new muffler and it sounds so much better. Last week I replaced the bumper with one from a junkyard, painting it on all sides beforehand.

If you let it go for too long, this is what you could end up with!

·
Registered
333 Posts
It's too cold to climb under the truck to look, but why would I get getting exhaust out the left rear wheel well (and a bit from under the car) and none from the tail pipe?

Broken on the back side of the muffler?
I guess we know it's some form of Gen 1 since the exhaust exits on the left.

·
Registered
02 SE/SC
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out the muffler itself was rusted out. I'm amazed I didn't notice it earlier. Not necessarily from the sound, since my timing belt had jumped a tooth and the #3 plug was disconnected and the whole thing sounded horrible, but from where the exhaust was coming from.

Looks like it's a bolt-on. Any mufflers that I should stay away from?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Turns out the muffler itself was rusted out. I'm amazed I didn't notice it earlier. Not necessarily from the sound, since my timing belt had jumped a tooth and the #3 plug was disconnected and the whole thing sounded horrible, but from where the exhaust was coming from.

View attachment 76302

Looks like it's a bolt-on. Any mufflers that I should stay away from?
Wow that's some serious exhaust leak. That's been there for quite some time it appears. I'm surprised it didn't melt the icicle hanging off the fender there. If you are staying stock on the muffler you most likely will find an offering from the Walker brand. They have been in the game a long time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts