Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 SE 4x4 with Gibson exhaust

I was fixing my exhaust heat shield rattles and noticed some issues with my flex pipe.

The rings on the flexpipe broke years ago. Now it seems the hanger bracket on the passenger side has rusted away.

My question is, as I was messing with the bracket, I noticed where the flex portion of the pipe is its very week and bangs together when I shake it.

Is this indicative of a broken pipe?

Im not sure how firm that flex piece should be?

If the pipe is shot, is there a patch i can install or is a new pipe the best?

Does a leak there create any performance loss?

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
Sounds like its broken ,need a new one no fix that i know of . On the heat shields nice trick if the screws are rusted just get a large radiator screw clamp go all the way around crank it down no rattle.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does a leak in the flex impact performance?

Yeah pipe clamps are the best exhaust noise be gone tool there is. My cats each have a pair. lol

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone have recommendations as to a replacement Y pipe? I have seen them at rock auto for cheap, but the bend doesn't look as nice which Im guessing will impeded performance.

·
Registered
621 Posts
You have a muffler shop around you? Or reputable garage? The piping and all will probably cost the same to order atleast mine did. I know from when i got my muffler it was 200 and they cut the rattle shields off lol and the muffler and piping. I mean its worth a shot to check, Cause once its all said and done itl probably cost the same either route you go. Unless the shops charge too much,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts