Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used '05 two years ago, I had to fix the radiator/ tranny problem, but was running great. Hit tge ditch and the front suspension is toast, and airbag deployed. I think they will total it, but the drive train is perfect.
I still have my '01 with 450,000 but the motor is toast. Checking around, they are not a direct crossover. I was wondering if anyone has pulled the engine out of an '05-ish, and put in an '01-ish?????

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Just stop now. Engine swaps are a thing of the past unless theres a company willing to build a kit for you. Modern engines are just to sensor dependent for any sort of major changes.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Unfortunately you're SOL. Changed model in 2005. You'd probably end up changing whole drive train and still have major problems. Maybe see what parts are needed and repair the 2005 by selling the 01. That's my 2 cents

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I once put a ford 283 in a willies jeep. Had to build an adaptor plate so it would bolt to tge tranny, and cut/rebuild tge firewall. I'm not new to this stuff. But I may be too old. That was a high school project that took five years. Ran good though. I'm not sure I'm ready to start that kind of machining again. Sensors are new, how ever. To bad all this new-dangled technology gets in tge way.
Btw - The insurance guy, calculator in hand, says there is more damage than its worth, just from what he can see. He didn't look under it yet. Seems the dash bounced to far. More of that technical sensor stuff.
Appreciate your input.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Sounds like you've got the skills .just do a lot of research before trying it. Maybe ask a couple of the guys that are wrenching a lot on rigs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts