Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an 01 Xterra with a 3.3 I’m assuming in the shop. The customer got a motor from online looks to be the same motor. Customer says that the company he bought it from said it’s compatible so I’m assuming it is from the same year? The only differences is maybe that the new one had an automatic transmission and the motor that came out of. The vehicle had a manual transmission I was wondering if I’m gonna be able to use this motor or not any feedback would be helpful! I’ve been reading around on the form all day decided to join and ask this question because I couldn’t find it. I went through a lot of the threads and people are saying that it Has to be the same motor same all this and that just anyone help would be awesome! Top photo is the newer/good motor this input this for the trans is throwing me off the biggest is this part of the crank. Do I have to swap cranks in order for it to work?

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
So I have an 01 Xterra with a 3.3 I’m assuming in the shop. The customer got a motor from online looks to be the same motor. Customer says that the company he bought it from said it’s compatible so I’m assuming it is from the same year? The only differences is maybe that the new one had an automatic transmission and the motor that came out of. The vehicle had a manual transmission I was wondering if I’m gonna be able to use this motor or not any feedback would be helpful! I’ve been reading around on the form all day decided to join and ask this question because I couldn’t find it. I went through a lot of the threads and people are saying that it Has to be the same motor same all this and that just anyone help would be awesome! Top photo is the newer/good motor this input this for the trans is throwing me off the biggest is this part of the crank. Do I have to swap cranks in order for it to work?
Hey I wish I knew more, but some more pictures of the engine would be helpful. I don’t know very much, but I do know that the various VG engines have a variety, maybe 2 or 3 different cranks, but they can potentially be swapped into one another so I don’t see the crank being an issue unless it doesn’t bolt up how you need it to. If nobody helps you here I’d look into the 300ZX forums and see what they say. They swap parts between the VG30DE/VG33E/whatever other VGs are out there

·
Registered
123 Posts
I guess I sort of misread. It seems that the motors look identical but this one part of the crank is what’s throwing you off? At first I read it as you weren’t sure if it was the same motor. You probably know more than I do so I won’t be much help. Look into changes in the cranks or potentially block casting numbers to see if there was a change from year to year that could affect anything, that’s all I would know to do without taking the cranks out and looking at them

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I just wanna know if a auto trans motor will work with a standard trans motor those are the differences in the crank and people say on here that there could be ecu problems if there not identical motors

·
Registered
56 Posts
From what I could tell just from a picture, the top one would be from an automatic, having the converter bushing installed and also missing the rear main seal retainer. The second picture looks like it has a pilot bushing installed from a manual transmission setup. I would think your existing flex plate would bolt right up and ideally, you get the correct bushing. As far as I’m aware, all the 3.3 engines had the same crankshaft but the 3.0 engines had a larger snout on the front which could create problems installing the crank pulley. I installed a JDM engine in mine and had no issues other than swapping over just about everything

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe my motors are the same so to get that to work with my manual transmission I would need to swap the cranks from auto to manual?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wouldn’t think the crankshafts would need to be changed. I think you’d pull that converter bushing out and replace it with a pilot bushing. The correct bushing will need to be present to support the transmissions input shaft. You should need the skinny brass one, not the fat steel one. If you search online for 2001 xterra pilot bushing, you’ll see examples of both

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would strongly recommend sourcing that rear main seal retainer gasket and installing new oil pan gasket with lips seals before installation. Most members with first gen xterras either have paid dearly to get this repaired or deal with the leak every day. It will never get easier than now to service these and prevent problems

1 - 11 of 11 Posts