Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Xterra SE, 158K+ miles, automatic transmission. Tonight while driving home from work my engine started making a rough, dry, throaty sound when I pressed the gas. At the beginning of my drive it was still accelerating but after a few minutes of stop-n-go traffic the engine really was running hard, and ESPECIALLY when driving uphill. At one point I had to put on my hazards and get into the right lane because I couldn't accelerate past about 45 mph, despite giving it a good amount of gas.

I took it straight to Auto Zone to test engine codes, whenre it threw P0345 (camshaft position sensor - bank 2) and C1130 (right rear sensor circuit out of range). Now I'm obviously no serious mechanic but my gut tells me that neither of these is responsible for the sound I heard. Regardless, I bought a new cam pos sensor and will be replacing that tonight. Meanwhile, I will greatly appreciate any input on the noise and behavior I experienced. I am going to to attach a link to a video with audio so you can hear it too.

RoughAcl1.mp4

Thank you!

-Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,457 Posts
2010 Xterra SE, 158K+ miles, automatic transmission. Tonight while driving home from work my engine started making a rough, dry, throaty sound when I pressed the gas. At the beginning of my drive it was still accelerating but after a few minutes of stop-n-go traffic the engine really was running hard, and ESPECIALLY when driving uphill. At one point I had to put on my hazards and get into the right lane because I couldn't accelerate past about 45 mph, despite giving it a good amount of gas.

I took it straight to Auto Zone to test engine codes, whenre it threw P0345 (camshaft position sensor - bank 2) and C1130 (right rear sensor circuit out of range). Now I'm obviously no serious mechanic but my gut tells me that neither of these is responsible for the sound I heard. Regardless, I bought a new cam pos sensor and will be replacing that tonight. Meanwhile, I will greatly appreciate any input on the noise and behavior I experienced. I am going to to attach a link to a video with audio so you can hear it too.

RoughAcl1.mp4

Thank you!

-Jason
You are pointed in the right direction. Make no mistake....your camshaft sensor is all telling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: I just replaced the camshaft position sensor - bank 2 and there is no change in performance or behavior. This did not solve my issue. Now, while poking around I did see fresh oil on my undercarriage, indicative of a leak somewhere. Could I just be dangerously low on oil? I thought low oil would have caused other symptoms, such as engine overheating or a different dash light to turn on. Would a different fluid, such as transmission fluid, be what I need?

When I took it for a spin just now, the sound of the engine reminds me of one of those older supercharged sports car, the kind that growl at an idle and roar with the gas. It—the engine—sounded deep and throaty in that way when I gave it gas.

Any ideas, anyone?

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,457 Posts
Update: I just replaced the camshaft position sensor - bank 2 and there is no change in performance or behavior. This did not solve my issue. Now, while poking around I did see fresh oil on my undercarriage, indicative of a leak somewhere. Could I just be dangerously low on oil? I thought low oil would have caused other symptoms, such as engine overheating or a different dash light to turn on. Would a different fluid, such as transmission fluid, be what I need?

When I took it for a spin just now, the sound of the engine reminds me of one of those older supercharged sports car, the kind that growl at an idle and roar with the gas. It—the engine—sounded deep and throaty in that way when I gave it gas.

Any ideas, anyone?
"Sounds" like you have more than one problem. I would be looking for a significant exhaust leak with the noise it's making. You don't need us to tell you to check your engine oil and transmission fluid levels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts