Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a couple weeks ago my 2006 Xterra (manual, offroad, 130k miles) began to randomly die on me while driving. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it happening, but about every other time I drove it it would at some point start struggling, then just die.

Once it did die, it would have a hard time starting up again. It would crank just fine (battery is new and appears in good condition), but would just rumble for 10 seconds or so after cranking (pressing the gas wouldn't rev, but would eventually kill it) and then die. After enough tries, it would eventually rev and I could go on my merry way only to have the same thing happen a couple days later.

I took it into the shop where they couldn't reproduce the problem (not surprising since it doesn't happen every time I drive) or find any obvious issues with the vehicle. The check engine light did come on after dying at one point just before I took it in and they said the code read P0430 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)). They also said the converters didn't look to be in bad condition and didn't recommend replacing them yet. The only thing the shop did was clean some corrosion from the battery cables/terminals.

Unfortunately, the problem cropped up again today a few days after getting the Xterra back from the shop. I should note that the whole problem started happening very soon after I changed the oil and ran some seafoam through the vacuum line / tank / oil. Not sure if it's related, but figured I should mention it.

Any ideas on what the issue could be and how to go about fixing it?

Let me know if you need any more info to help troubleshoot.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looking into some similar posts, it looks like faulty ECM relays are often a precursor to the P0430 code and have similar stalling symptoms. Anyway to tell if that relay is dead?

For what it's worth, the Xterra runs great otherwise and idles at a smooth 600 RPM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quick update to the situation and a little more backstory:

On my way to work the other day (about 13 miles) the x died on me a total of six times. These ranged from me having to pull over and try starting the engine for 15 minutes before returning to the road to being able to restart while coasting seconds after it died. Very unpredictable though it seemed to happen most after slowing down for a turn/stop sign, or sitting at a stoplight.

As stated before, the car would crank fine and then just rumble as if it weren't getting enough gas. As I did some more research I discovered that the ECM relay is directly related to the fuel system (pump), so it made sense that this could be the issue. I ended up swapping the ecm relay with the fog light relay just to check if anything changed and sure enough I was able to drive back home without issue. I also noticed the engine running much more responsively after the swap. While I was having the issue, the engine seemed very anemic and unresponsive.

The issue cropped up shortly after using one of those bluetooth adapters in the car outlet that lets you stream music from your phone. I've used it once before and shortly after had to replace the car battery (which I chalked up to it being 5+ years old). After this bout though, I think the adapter is possibly broken and simply drawing too much current which led to the relay blowing.

I've ordered a couple replacement relays and will report back if the issue returns, but hopefully this will be it. Since the cats were in good condition according to the shop, I'm hoping that code won't make a return after clearing either (since the engine isn't running lean anymore).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same/Same

Ab3n,

Your issue sounds identical to mine (2005 Xterra). I can tell you that I did waste $345.00 buying a new IPDM that did not solve the problem. I'm going to check the fuel pump connector for corrosion and clean the MAF sensor next. One curious point you make about the blue tooth accessory, I too have one of these (or my daughter does, its her car), could it be that this is a potential issue somehow? This stall problem is madding, I hope others on here can offer advice beyond the IPDM & relay to help us both out. I also have a 2003 350z and have had virtually no problems with since I bought it new in that year, go figure....:|

xterralemon

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 07 just stalled at a light. Wouldnt start for about 5 min then fine. Strangely enough had oil changed 48hrs before. No stored codes no engine light. I'll follow up as I discover the failure.
Never posted the fix but I replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor. It sit on the passenger side on the back side of the engine under a rubber boot. I didn’t jack the car up or even take wheel off. I had to removed the plastic wheel well cover and I used a long extension to take it out. Took maybe 30 minutes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m having this exact same issue. I’ve broken nails, cried, sliced my hand open. Like literally blood sweat and tears replacing countless shit. It’s goddamn ridiculous.
I’m going to try replacing everything you guys suggesting above and report back 😂

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m having this exact same issue. I’ve broken nails, cried, sliced my hand open. Like literally blood sweat and tears replacing countless shit. It’s goddamn ridiculous.
I’m going to try replacing everything you guys suggesting above and report back 😂
I was over shooting and should’ve tried the sensor first. Instead I did the $300 fuel pump assembly, relays, I almost did the $1000 IPDM board. I would go to Autozone, get the $25 sensor that has a lifetime warranty and start there! Best of luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was over shooting and should’ve tried the sensor first. Instead I did the $300 fuel pump assembly, relays, I almost did the $1000 IPDM board. I would go to Autozone, get the $25 sensor that has a lifetime warranty and start there! Best of luck!
Replaced the sensor and Xtena is back to working just fine. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Super helpful post!

·
Registered
03 XE AT w/JDM VG + SC, more letters coming soon
1,710 Posts
I would go to Autozone, get the $25 sensor that has a lifetime warranty and start there!
I see many of these fail within one year of replacement. If you do any amount of boondocking, road tripping, towing, camping, off-roading, or if you don’t have AAA, you’ll want to buy an OE sensor

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys. My sis is having the same issue with her 2012 nissan xterra. I just changed the crankshaft sensor. And she told me it died on her again. Any more recommendations. I saw someone say something about an ignition switch? But her car is dieing when she is going like 50 not idleing.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
2,346 Posts
Hey guys. My sis is having the same issue with her 2012 nissan xterra. I just changed the crankshaft sensor. And she told me it died on her again. Any more recommendations. I saw someone say something about an ignition switch? But her car is dieing when she is going like 50 not idleing.
Step 1 is to get the codes scanned. Otherwise, it's just a guessing game called the Parts Cannon.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
2,346 Posts
The code doesn't always mean the sensor is faulty. It means it has detected a fault in the sensor circuit, which could be a plug, wiring, or electrical interference.

Having scanned it, that same scanner may be able to watch live data or provide a graph that you can review to see where/when the issue happens.

In some vehicles, but maybe not the Xterra, low oil levels can cause this, as can blocked or restricted oil flow. With a new part, the filter screen (if equipped) should also have been replaced. If not, examine it and/or clean it.

Also, if there is more than one cam sensor, it's usually best to replace both.

Another suggestion I see frequently is to replace the crank sensor when doing the cam sensor(s).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts