Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed an engine knock recently. The knock only is noticeable when I shift to reverse or drive. When the vehicle is in park there is no knock at all. Where do I start troubleshooting this?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Are you sure it is the engine and not the tranny...what year, drive, and tranny is your x?

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2000, automatic transmission. It's hard to say what it is. It runs fine and shifts fine just as soon as you put it in gear it seems to start knocking a bit. I can take a video later if that helps.

·
Registered
621 Posts
How bad of a knock? Or is it more of a ticking? Mine having cracked headers makes some nasty noises until they get hot which i could diagnose and having a motor knock kinda like worn bearings sorta.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Buy this stuff called tufoil. I have added it to every engine, not at every oil change, but several times a year...it contains additives that actually bond with the motor and helps reduce friction...I wouldn't have used it myself if someone didn't give it to me first, I put it in an engine that was using oil on a regular basis, used it for three oil changes, and after the third it was getting better...I was skeptical thinking it just gunk'd up the leak, until I had to take the pan and valve cover off and found it to be cleaner than clean, other than your normal buildup for a motor with 180k, but I was impressed. It also stopped my oil light from coming on while at idle...so it's good stuff, just expensive (hence why I only do it several times a year).

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

1 - 5 of 5 Posts