Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a good one, my friend asked me if I could change the knock sensor on his 2002 4×4 because he had it checked out at AutoZone. So I did and at the same time the p wires, rotar, plugs, and cap. Now the check engine light flashes non stop and when driving misses like a fouled plug really bad what could it be now? Thanks Lee H.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I’d check to see that those plug wires are actually good, what spark plugs you use? Any way you could have messed the timing up? That blinking means the fuel ain’t burning so something isn’t getting spark in there. NGK iridium plugs are the OEM and I’ve heard of issues when using inferior ones.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
did the rotor go back in exactly in the same spot the old one came off? if it was moved between the timing maybe out, as other have suggested what brand and part number plugs did you use? what plug wires did you use? i'd double check theyre all tight epecially #6 being that one is the worst one to get to. and just FYI for you and our friend unless his is supercharged the knock sensor code is a dummy code that will not throw the light on and will not fail inspection nor have any noticeable impact on the truck if not changed. reason is the vg3.3 is a hold over from the late 80s when these systems were not around yet (part of why it has such low power output and drinks gas like its going out of style) and the k/s was hastily put on to comply with modern requirements, great engines mechanically the external stuff is the problems like distributor.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This sounds like your timing is way off. I agree with kms1990, if the rotor and cap were not reinstalled in the EXACT positions they were originally in, even by the slightest, your timing will be off. If you did this procedure properly, try double checking the plug wires on the dizzy cap to the engine. The firing order is as follows...

The dizzy cap is marked with the corresponding plug wire numbers. #1 on cap leads to #1 on diagram, and so on. Also assure the wires are the proper length, and seated snug so when pulled on slightly they do not come out. They should more or less "click" or "snap" in place. If you have clear electrical silicone, apply some to the insides of the plug wire connectors / around the rubber wire ends. If you confirm the wires are routed to their proper plugs, and all electrical connections are tight, chances are your timing is off due to your dizzy rotor being out of place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts