Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I've been reading through these forums for a while now and am at my witts end. 03 xterra 3.3L not supercharged will not start.
Bypasses the solenoid and the starter was good, checked the battery and had it checked multiple times and recharged. Performed a parasitic drain test and narrowed a drain down to fuse ELEC B of a 90 mA drain. Anytime the battery touches the terminals with this fuse in , it drains all the CCA, whenever the key is put into the ignition it attempts to turn over and the belts start spinning.

P.S for any extra information a buddy of mine who was a little too excited was helping me install an LED light that we ended up ditching the idea of, he connected the gear shifter light terminals together using a wire causing the ABS light to come on and the whole dash to dim. The car did start after 6 times that night.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
OBD wont link, check engine light will not come on when the key is originally inserted and put in the ON position.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: to those in the future who may need this and see. When a check engine light does not come on when you put your key in and turn it without starting the car , all lights should be present. If your check engine light does not light up as the ABS and brake light and such it means your ECM is in some way damaged. The drain from my battery was from a parasitic drain combined with the amount of times I tried to crank the engine while the ECM wasnt communicating or putting all things into play to start the car , such as the fuel pump etc.

Signs your ECM is damaged:
-OBD not connecting
- check engine light does not appear when initially putting the key in

I went down to a junk yard , grabbed an ECM from the same year make model and transmission type. Surprisingly the ECM despite being a different computer from another vehicle allowed the key to trip the ignition switch.
All is well.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Glad you figured it out! I don’t know too much but I imagine this would have been difficult for others to diagnose without having a very similar issue themself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Me too . I was pretty much beyond any traditional help ! I've gotten so many solutions here I was glad I finally ran into something others havent posted tons about and could add to the forum.
Most frustrating process of elimination ever.... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts