Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the guys that run electric fans, the extra temp sensor they make you install, how does it differ from the temp sensor for the temp gauge in the dash? couldn't you skip that part and just hook it up to that one? I have a hard time believing the resistance values between the two will be any different.

· Registered
346 Posts
Ya but you do have the actual thermostat next to the dash thermostat. Its a single prong so have to ground a two lead wire elsewhere.

· Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
10,410 Posts
You would need to find a controller that will work with an OEM temp sender. In my case I have no "controller" I have a temp switch that opens at 170F and closes at 190 F, IIRC, sending a ground signal to a relay to turn the fan on/off. Simple system and frankly I hate the controllers they fail in my experience. In my system if my sender fails I still have complete manual control of the fan via a switch that is on/off/auto modes. If the sender fails I just flip it to manual on and let it run.

My sender installed in a bung welded into the cooling coupling tube shown at lower left in pic.

· Premium Member
488 Posts
The main reason you can't do it is running a spliced parallel feed to a sensor will Check Engine Light you immediately.
Maybe if you designed a diode circuit, you could do it. But, it is so much easier to get a cheap aluminum hose insert of eBay, drill and tap it to the pickup unit designed for the electrical fan controller.

· Premium Member
488 Posts
FYI, I still have the coolest looking electric fan setup in any Xterra by far, and I made it myself

· Registered
346 Posts
Jeez tj I've looked all over for pics of a setup like that lol. I haven't hooked up mine due to fan mounting issues.

· Premium Member
488 Posts
You would need to find a controller that will work with an OEM temp sender. In my case I have no "controller" I have a temp switch that opens at 170F and closes at 190 F, IIRC, sending a ground signal to a relay to turn the fan on/off. Simple system and frankly I hate the controllers they fail in my experience. In my system if my sender fails I still have complete manual control of the fan via a switch that is on/off/auto modes. If the sender fails I just flip it to manual on and let it run.

My sender installed in a bung welded into the cooling coupling tube shown at lower left in pic.

I'm curious, why did you put your temp probe on the cool end/bottom hose?
Everything I researched says it goes on the hot side coming out of the engine, the upper radiator hose.:nerd:

· Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
10,410 Posts
Everything I researched says it goes on the hot side coming out of the engine, the upper radiator hose.:nerd:
Not my design it's a kit. My truck runs at 175 degrees, sitting on the side of a trail, idling with the AC running, in 90+ degree Bama heat with matching humidity. So it seems to work really well temp never fluctuates and it will not overheat no matter how long it sits. Winter time it warms up quickly comes up to 175 and stays there.

· Registered
444 Posts
The guy who makes it probably uses a lower temp switch so that it compensates...idk, but it sounds good

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
PML, EFan, stock intake mod, shocks, a bunch of maintenance, and a tune up

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.